Monday, March 28, 2016

034 OUR MISSION, IS MISSION

Finishing off the last day before Renee goes home and back to work, we decided after our usual one hour walk with Toby, to head out and take a look around the District of Mission.  It’s only about 15 or 20 minutes down the road and is a nice little town.  There is also the famous Westminster Abby on top of the mountain.

We rolled through the town of Mission, and it reminded me so much of small town America that you see featured in movies and TV series.  Mission has in fact been used as a substitute for small town America when Hollywood is filming up here.  Right on the main street is a collection of mom & pop type stores and café’s that will be neat to explore another day.  On the outskirts of town are some of the big box stores like Wal-Mart.  It’s even more quiet and laid back here than Maple Ridge.

I was really expecting something special when we headed up to the Abby.  I’m not sure really what I was expecting, really.  I guess it was old Gothic architecture, like the Christchurch Cathedral in downtown Vancouver.  We went on a scenic little drive with an overview of the less populated area of the valley.  It was pretty in its own right, but I think it will be more spectacular in a couple of weeks when all the blossoms are out.  Autumn could be very special as well, with the leaves changing colour.

Anyway, we finally made it up to the parking lot of the Abby and were greeted by a flat grey concrete structure.  Even the steeple was concrete, as was the cross on top.  It was rather a letdown for me, because as I said, I was expecting more.  There was one wall that you could see, had been covered in ivy, but it had all been stripped away.  There were a few out buildings that still had ivy climbing the walls and while they were concrete as well, they looked a little more special.

Renee took Toby out for a short walk and to stretch his legs a bit.  I waited in the truck as my back is bad today.  Eventually they returned and we started the trek back down the mountain to explore a little more.  While on our way home, I received a return call from the handyman who has been recommended to us for installing the chandelier and ceiling fan we bought yesterday.
MEDIEVAL STYLE CHANDELIER


Once we got home, Renee suggested we put them together to save time for him and money for me.  No sense paying to have him assemble these things when I am quite capable of doing so.  The chandelier went together quickly, the ceiling fan, not so much.  Anyway after a bit of swearing, all the parts are together and ready to be installed.  I think they will really fit the décor, especially the chandelier which has a distinct medieval feel to it, matching the table and chairs.

CEILING FAN FOR THE LIVING ROOM
I’m going to have this fellow hang the big painting from the living room in the old house.  It’s not that it is that difficult, but he will be here and I have no idea where my tools are.  It’s going to take some fairly precise measuring as well, to get this properly aligned in the alcove.  I tend to rush a bit with things like that and consequently, things don’t hang quite the way they should.  So, better to get the pro do it.


After dinner, I managed to jamb the garburator somehow and despite repeated efforts, can’t get it unstuck.  I’ll work on it tomorrow when I have more time as Renee and Toby want to go for an evening walk while the sun is shining at it is still warm out.  I’m going to have to set the alarm tonight as lately I have been sleeping past 6:00 Am and Renee has to be up extra early to catch the Westcoast Express back into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment