Tuesday, March 1, 2016

016 TIME MARCHES ON - COUNTDOWN DAY 7

Time is on my side, yes it is.  Well, it is and it isn’t.  Time is inexorably marching on wards.  Here it is March 1, 2016 and the long awaited move is now just a week away.  When I first started this process time seemed to speed right up and then after the sale it seemed to slow right down while waiting for closing.  Once that happened it started racing forward again until before I knew it, we were into the new year.  Things seemed to start moving at a more normal pace for a while and then as we hit February, time slowed right to a crawl where it remains.

Even though time seems to be standing still while waiting to move, it is at the same time racing by when I’m trying to get everything done and ready to go.  Sometimes it feels like there are not enough hours in the day to get it all done.  In the next three days I have to get 1-800-GOT-JUNK back in here to take away all the stuff I don’t need or want anymore, but in order to do that I need to move some stuff around first.

Speaking of time flying by, Renee was watching the Academy Awards on Sunday night.  I don’t watch them, but that’s another story for another time.  Imagine my surprise when I walked past the TV and glanced up to see an old squad mate of mine sitting in the audience, with all of the V.I.P.’s It seems that a movie which his son starred in (ROOM) was up for Best Picture.   So there was Jason Tremblay and his son Jacob in the audience.  I’ve been retired ten years and Jacob is 9.  So he was born a year after I retired.  Jason just had two daughters when I left.  So there is another case when time has just flown by.

The march of time and all the stresses involved are playing hell with my sleeping patterns though.  Prior to retiring I hated dayshift because I hated getting up early.  Since I retired, for most of those years I was waking up at 6:00 every morning and then it worked its way back to 5:00 in the morning.  In the year since Dad died, I’m all over the map with when I wake up.

The last few days though have been hell.  Friday night I fell asleep about 10:30 PM and I was wide awake at 2:30 AM.  Saturday night I fell asleep around 11:30 PM and was wide awake at 1:30 AM.  I got up and worked on the computer until 3:00 AM and then went back to bed, but sleep would not come.  I watched the clock click over to 4:00 AM and by then it became the law of diminishing returns.  If by some miracle I happened to get back to sleep, I knew I would sleep in and miss hockey, so I got up.

Sunday night, I was so exhausted from lack of sleep and hockey I fell asleep at 9:30 PM and slept right through until 5:30 AM.  It felt good initially, but later on in the evening I was feeling it big time.  So again, I fell asleep about 10:30 PM and was again wide awake by 2:30 AM and I have been up since.  I’m already tired but I have to do the morning routine and get Toby out for his walk.


So if you have the time, make good use of it.  Look out for those cycles of slow/fast time and just remember, no matter how slow time appears to be moving, it is actually flying past and there is no getting it back.  Make the best use of all your time and never take it for granted, because it can change in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment