Sunday, March 13, 2016

024 THE RAIN, THE PARK AND OTHER THINGS

The big day finally arrived and so did the movers, right on schedule at 9:00 AM.  That of course is when my ability to go online stopped because the computer was all boxed up and packed.  The guys got busy and started packing the truck and before I knew it, half the contents from my house were onboard.  It was kind of bittersweet.  It was the end of one very large portion of my life and the beginning of a whole new adventure.

I took Toby to the park to play, where he got to say goodbye to a couple of his friends, like Dallas and Ktulu.  After the park trip we went back to the house and found the truck was now ¾ loaded and before I knew it, they were done and we were on the way at 12:45.  There were several things forgotten, such as I forgot to empty the fridge.  It was not a big deal as I will be going back on Sunday to pick up the boat.

Now here we are and the process is being reversed, with the guys unloading the truck and filling up the house.  It was hard to match boxes to locations as you go from a basic one room basement to a 3 level townhouse.  Unloading was obviously faster than loading and by 3:45 PM, I had paid the bill and the big empty truck headed off.  While I had visited the house 12-14 times before and had never seen it in the rain, the reverse happened today.  Halfway through unloading it started to rain.

Just after the movers left, the ongoing saga with Telus continued.  The install guy finally arrived and began to hunt around the entire complex.  He need to find the electrical room, which for my building is actually on the side of my suite.  I kept telling him this, but he insisted on going to the other end of the block.  Eventually he found the proper room but could not get in as it was locked.  Apparently he could only get the keys from the Presentation Center, but they are closed Fridays.  So, here I am, still without my home phone.  He said it was something to do with fiber optic cables.

After he left, I went over to pick Renee up at the Westcoast Express and it turns out that the station that we had thought she was going to, wasn’t this one.  I managed to get her on the cell phone and we get that straightened out.  Finally, she was here.  Toby was beside himself with excitement and still the rain kept falling.

The house is full of boxes and this is Renee’s first look inside my actual unit and I think she is impressed.  Because everything is boxed up and we can’t find any of the kitchen stuff, I’m not able to cook and so we resorted to ordering in pizza from Papa John’s.  We spent some time unpacking some boxes, but didn’t get too far.  We headed upstairs and I could not find the DVD player, but did find the Blu-Ray and after a quick hook up, we settled down in the new bed to watch some Seinfeld episodes.  I managed one, before I zonked out.

It was a restless sleep though with new surroundings, new bed, sore back, feet and legs, and Toby’s unrest.  With another 4:30 AM wakeup, it was time to just take in the new surroundings.  After Renee got up we got a few more boxes emptied and I started organizing my cupboards a little.  We were just about to head out the door for breakfast and coffee, when they guy from Shaw called to see if he could come early. 

I had been waiting since Tuesday and yet I turned him down if you can believe it.  After a quick breakfast at McDonald’s and then having coffee at Starbucks, we grabbed a few things at Save-On Foods and headed home, just in time for the furniture to arrive.  Finally, there it was my recliner, TV, Sound Bar, and dining room chairs, sitting in my house. 

Just as they left, the Shaw guy arrived.  I warned him about the problem with the electrical room access and while the Presentation Center wouldn’t be open for another 45 minutes, he didn’t have the same problem.  He has keys for the whole complex electrical rooms.  This guy was amazing and very friendly.  He went through, hooked up the spectacular new TV, hooked up the old TV and goy my internet going.  He went above and beyond as well, making recommendations for things to see and do, restaurants and handymen that can help with mounting the TV on the wall.

Having two TV’s and separate rooms allowed me to watch the hockey game while Renee was able to watch her program at the same time.  Toby took up a position halfway between us so he could protect us both.  Talk about Mister Hi-Tech.  I watched the entire first period of the game being really disappointed in the picture and thinking that the old TV is far superior.  Renee came down to see how things were going and she pointed out that I was watching a low-definition channel.  When I found the proper HD channel, I was blown away.  65 inches of awesome.

We went out for dinner tonight to the China Kitchen, a Chinese Buffet.  It was great!  Good food, very friendly people and reasonable price.  That is one thing I have noticed in the short time I have lived in Maple Ridge.  It is small town values and everyone is very friendly and helpful.  It’s a small city of 100,000 people but a far cry from the attitudes of people and politicians of Vancouver.

Sunday morning was another early wake-up made earlier by daylight saving time.  The plan is for a busy day.  We headed out at 6:30 AM and arrived at the hockey arena at my usual 7:00 Am time.  My first trip to hockey from the new house.  It’s also the first time in many years Renee has come to watch me play.  Once the game was over, Karl and his buddy joined us for breakfast at The Slocan Family Restaurant, my hangout for years.  This will likely be our last visit as it’s a little far to go.

There is a reason for being here though, as we are heading back to the house to pick up the boat and anything that had been forgotten.  Karl and Jeff loaded my old hide-a-bed into my truck, while I emptied the fridge.  When all that was done, we hooked up the boat and by now it was totally pissing rain.  I wandered around the house for one final goodbye, and it hit me a lot harder today than it did on Friday.  I guess because this is the last time I will be here.

We started the trek out to the new house with the boat in tow.  Once we got here, the plan was to put the boat close to the garage and the three of us would push it inside.  I knew there was 4 inches of clearance on either side of the door to the sides of the boat.  I had not measured the height, but that didn’t prove to be an issue.  Combining my “masterful driving” with Karl and Jeff keeping an eye on things, I managed to put the boat bang on into the center of the garage.

The truck won’t fit in there as well right now as there are too many boxes stacked up.  Once those are cleared out I will be able to put both the truck and boat inside which was the goal right from the get go.  I even managed to draw an audience from Ken and Jennifer, the sales team as well as a group of potential buyers waiting to see if I could get that big boat in the garage.  Hopefully they were all impressed.

So here we are at the end of the first weekend in the new house and we are loving it.  One thing I am really enjoying is having heat after living in the basement through the winter with no heat source except for a couple of small space heaters.  There is a ton of work ahead and a lot of new adventures to come and I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment