Thursday, March 17, 2016

026 THE SAGA CONTINUES...AND ENDS

The saga continues.  On Saturday I ordered a nice computer desk, bookshelf and chair from Staples for a not insubstantial bill.  I had actually gone into the store to purchase these items and bring them home so I would have them right away and be able to set up my computer room/office.  I was told that the items were not in stock at the store and I would have to order them online.  To be helpful, the sales person said I could do it right from their dedicated terminal instore.  He also assured me the items would be delivered on Monday for certain.

Monday came and went and late in the day I phoned the customer service number to enquire about the order.  I was told there was a delay and it would be delivered for sure on Tuesday.  Late Tuesday afternoon I got an email saying that there was a problem with my credit card.  Since I had used it elsewhere that day, I knew that was not the case.  So I phoned the number and when she started asking for info, I was worried about a phishing scheme, so I had her tell me the info.

What they were saying is that the home address was filled out but the shipping address wasn’t.  Huh?  There is a checkbox on the order that says shipping address is the same as the home address and it was checked.  Anyway, she said that the order would be delivered on Wednesday.  I explained that I had to be out of the house by 3:00 PM (for hockey, but I didn’t tell her that).  You’d think with all the hassle they would want to help out by delivering early.

Nope, not the case.  We waited all day and I said to Renee, you watch they will show up just as we are leaving.  Sure enough, my gear is all loaded it the truck and we are literally on the way out the door when the Staples driver shows up.  I asked him if he would put the packages upstairs, because they are heavy and he had a dolly, but he flat out refused.  So not wanting to lose my order, I had him put everything in the garage, but I have no idea how I am going to get this stuff upstairs.

The Telus saga has reached epic proportions now.  Almost 2 weeks before I moved, I called Telus to advise I needed to move my service.  I detailed in earlier entries how screwed up that got, especially when the first installer arrived and couldn’t find the electrical room.  The second guy finally got here late Tuesday afternoon.  He spent an hour looking and finally found the electrical room, which was right where I had told him, but like so many people he would not listen to me.

In any case, he discovered that there were no Telus cables or fiber optics installed, so he left and told me that someone from head office would call me.  They didn’t!  Two days later I gave up and called Telus and after getting through to someone and being put on hold for 10 minutes, he solved the problem.  Apparently there is no Telus service into any house in the complex, and there ends the saga.  I have switched over to a Shaw phone bundle with my internet and cable.  The added benefit is that the number is very close to my parent’s old phone number and within 5 minutes I had it memorized.

In addition, my alarm system will now be fully functional and monitored, like it should have been from the beginning.  Why nobody from Telus could tell me that there was no service from the get-go is anybody’s guess because the guy I talked to today was able to figure that out in less than 10 minutes of checking.  Oh well, the saga has finally drawn to a happy conclusion, sort of like Star Wars return of The Jedi.



No comments:

Post a Comment