Tuesday, March 15, 2016

025 OH MY ACHING BACK

I was awake yesterday at 4:30 AM and finally gave up trying to go back to sleep.  Renee was asleep downstairs on the couch, where she fell asleep watching TV.  Toby was right there beside her.  At 5:30 AM I got up and started unpacking more boxes in the upstairs.  I’m going through clothes as I unpack and putting aside usable items that I don’t or cannot wear anymore and will donate them to Salvation Army or Big Brothers. There are some brand new T-shirts in there that still have the stickers on there, but I “outgrew” them before wearing them.

I took the time to learn how to use my new washer and dryer and put through 7 loads of wash today.  This isn’t a case of stockpiling dirty laundry either.  There were new towels to be washed and various sundry other things, I also got busy emptying boxes, not the least of which were two big wardrobe boxes in the walk-in closet.  Once that was done, my closet no longer looked empty.  There are a bunch of items that I have to eliminate from there too.

Poking through boxes on the main floor, finally yielded my plates, dishes and glasses.  I still cannot find the cutlery though.  We are down to about 9 boxes on the main floor and one on the bedroom level.  I got my main computer hooked up and running, but cannot access my email and that required a call to Shaw to get it straightened out.  It’s very difficult to use the computer though as the monitor is on the window sill and the tower on the floor.  That will change later today when my computer desk and office chair arrive from Staples.

It promises to be a busy day, as Telus is going to take another stab at finally getting me set up with a land line.  I have my fingers crossed, but I’m not holding out a whole lot of hope.  My alarm system will be fully installed and operating today.  It’s very high tech with all the “bells and whistles”.  Things are starting to look up.  The one problem is that when my desk and chair arrive, I have to assemble them and for the life of me I cannot find my tools.  They are likely buried in the 40 or so boxes in the garage.

The boat is sitting nicely in there, but I can’t get the truck in yet.  The area in front of the boat is filled with items for recycling as well as regular garbage.  There are boxes that need to be returned to the moving company and all sorts of other things.  The other problem is that the boat is sitting well forward due to boxes behind it.

I finally crawled to the back of the boat and began shifting boxes off to the side.  Some of those boxes are really heavy with books and old record albums.  Finally, I got those out of the way, climbed back to the front of the boat and managed to push it myself about 8 feet further back and slightly angled.  This should be enough room to get the truck in once the stuff in front is taken to the transfer station (fancy name for The Dump”).

We took a break from emptying boxes and headed to Wal-Mart to get some things for the house.  Things like bath mats, towels, a DVD player, Blu-Ray player for the new TV and a myriad of other much needed household items.  Once we got back, I resumed emptying boxes and figured out how to run the dishwasher.  I ran all the plates and glasses through, not that they were dirty, but twenty years of handwashing and then being handled and put in boxes.  They came out sparkling clean and almost look new.

At 7:00 PM we decided we were hungry and since we still haven’t found the pots and pans and other cooking utensils, we headed for A&W for Teen Burgers and onion rings.  Of course there was another part to the mission and that was to return several items to Wal-Mart that were either missing pieces, or just didn’t match the décor.  I’m leaving all that to Renee to make the place look nice.  I insisted though on a no slip bath mat for the walk-in shower and no slip floor mats for the tile floor in the bathroom.  We don’t need any slips and falls.


After we got home, I finally quit working at 9:30 PM, aching, sore and exhausted.  That was a 16-hour day of mostly physical labour compounded by being the day after game day.  We headed for bed at 10:30 PM and I passed out trying to watch an episode of Seinfeld.  It didn’t last though as I was wide awake by 1:30 PM and came downstairs so I don’t disturb Renee.  I’m getting tired enough to re-attempt sleep and the Tylenol 3 has eased the pain in my back somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment