Monday, March 7, 2016

020 IS IT OR ISN'T IT? - COUNTDOWN DAY 1

Here I sit in the afternoon of the last day, before “The Big Day” and I find myself in the position of waiting once more.  I signed all the documents on Friday and paid the balance owing on the house and then the waiting started…again.  My lawyer said he would phone me as soon as the deal was completed and I didn’t expect to hear on Friday.  I also didn’t expect any news on the weekend.  But, here it is Monday afternoon and I still haven’t heard.

I’m not normally a paranoid type, but one of the major reasons I have not made anything public at all on Facebook, is that I have found myself on numerous occasions throughout the ordeal, expecting something to go wrong.  Now that it’s so close I can taste it, those fears are popping up big time, the longer I wait for news.

Everything is set for me to go out there tomorrow and receive my keys at 12:30 PM.  Sometime after that during the afternoon, I am expecting visits from TELUS, Shaw Cable and my alarm company, so I will be spending the afternoon in my new house, with no furniture and nothing to do.  I will take my laptop and while I won’t be able to access the internet until it is installed, I can at least play games or watch a movie on it.  I’ll also be able to write a blog entry but not post it until later.

Not forgetting someone else important, it will be Toby’s first look at his new home as well.  I have a water bucket with me and I will bring his food and pill with me in case we do end up spending the entire afternoon there.  Not having any chairs to sit on, we will have to sit on the hardwood (laminate) floor and make the best of it.  I can already feel the sore butt and back from that endeavor.

The beds are being delivered Thursday, the moving company is bringing my stuff on Friday and the furniture arrives Saturday.  Renee also arrives on the Westcoast Express late on Friday and we will spend our first night in the new house.  We are going to have to come up with a whole new routine.

I spent the early afternoon today trying to contact TELUS and confirm their arrival tomorrow.  I also spent time on getting my computer room furniture ready to place the order.  I already know what I want, so I have it all saved to my shopping cart.  The stumbling block is that Staples will deliver it tomorrow but it would be anytime between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM.  Since I don’t get the keys until 12:30 PM, that won’t work.  I won’t be there Wednesday and Thursday and Friday are the same problem and they don’t deliver until Tuesday, so I will have to make the order on the weekend.

So quickly after leaving, we will be making a return to the old neighbourhood on Sunday.  After hockey, Karl will bring a buddy to help load the hide-a-bed into my truck.  Then we will hook up the boat and take it to the new house, where Karl and his friend can help me push it into the garage.  From there we will drive over to Karl’s new place in Langley and drop off the bed there.  Then it’s home to watch the new TV from the comfort of my new recliner.

UPDATE

Of course just as I finished typing and posting this entry in the blog, the update arrived.  The deal is now complete and I am now the proud owner of my brand new townhouse and everything can move forward as planned.  This is the first time in my life that I have owned a house, on my own and completely debt free.  It is such an awesome experience, even if it seemed like forever happening.  It is done, and moving day, moves forward.  YAY!!!!

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE

I knew things were going too well and now we have hit a major snag.  I don’t really know what made me do it, but I phoned TELUS twice today, just to confirm the appointment for the install tomorrow.  The morning session resulted in me sitting on the phone for two hours and giving up.  The afternoon session was a 45-minute wait.  It’s a good thing that I persisted, because it turns out there is no appointment booked for tomorrow.  The reason being is that according to TELUS, my address does not exist.  I thought we had this all worked out last week, but apparently not.  So we were looking at an installation date of late Friday afternoon, but even that may not happen.  They have to wait until the address database is refreshed between TELUS and the city.  This guy was very helpful though, promising to call me as soon as he knows something, not only that I get my first month free.

No comments:

Post a Comment