Thursday, March 3, 2016

017 FEAR FACTOR - COUNTDOWN DAY 5

The fear factor is now setting in just a little bit.  It’s not something I can really define but, it isn’t excitement and it isn’t anticipation or even impatience.  There is just a little bit of fear over whether the move will go smoothly, or whether my utilities will get activated at the right time, or whether my new bed will be delivered as promised.  There is the fear of getting everything done in the extremely busy next 10 days to follow.

Let me say unequivocally though, I have no regrets over selling the old house or in buying the new one.  It was time, it just was.  Twenty years of living in this tiny, cold and yes dirty basement have come to an end and rightly so.  It is time that I have a life.

Some people have made the suggestion that I should simply move upstairs.  But, I have found for me it is not even a viable option.  First off 14 months after Dad’s passing, I still don’t feel comfortable with the thought of moving upstairs.  Renting it out was not an option because I have no shower or cooking facilities.  I made do when Dad was alive, but I couldn’t do that with strangers in the house.  Not to mention the horror stories I have read about bad tenants.

There is some nervousness about what my new community will be like and the people who will surround me.  I hope I end up with a great neighbour.  So far my experience with Maple Ridge has been nothing short of amazing.  Everyone I have met or had business dealings with has been so friendly and helpful, it’s kind of scary.  In Vancouver, the business dealings alone with the bureaucrats has been a scary proposition at best.  I guess it’s the difference between big city and small town.

Now, Maple Ridge is not exactly a small town with 100,000 residents, but it is certainly much smaller than Vancouver.  City council in Vancouver has become nothing short of a dictatorship with head spaceman Mayor Moonbeam ramming through proposals to suit the needs of him and his friends.  I find Maple Ridge city council, in my dealings so far, to be helpful and attentive to the needs of their residents.  Sure, that may change in time, but for now the difference is night and day.

I don’t mean to get on a soapbox or to get going on a rant as I am trying to leave all that behind.  But, it is my blog and I can take it in any direction I choose.  It’s been suggested that I don’t have enough photos in my latest entries, and there is a good reason for that.  I don’t have any to include right now.  For example, I don’t have any photos of the new bed.  I did try to get some off of the Sleep Country website, but there were none there either.  I will update previous articles with photos as they come available.


I intend to document the whole move with words and photos.  As I stated before though, the blog is my outlet.  The writing helps to calm me down and to get out the frustrations and anxiety that builds up.  It allows me to document my feelings as this is a huge change of lifestyle.  It’s easy to bounce around when you are in your twenties and changing places every couple of years.  It’s a whole ‘nother thing to do it in your sixties when you have been in the same place for twenty years and for 46 years overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment