Tuesday, March 22, 2016

029 THIS IS THE END???

Today marks the proverbial finishing point for the move as it were.  The place is looking a lot less cluttered as most of the big boxes have been unpacked and places have been found for everything.  I have tossed away a lot more things and the stack of cardboard in the garage is huge again.  There is definitely another trip to the recycling depot in the offing.

The reason I call it the finishing point is that the last of the delivery or tradespeople is scheduled for today and then I don’t have to spend time waiting around for them to arrive.  I’ll still have to have someone come in and install the ceiling fan and the chandelier, but I have to actually pick those out first.  The living room surely needs a little more light, in the evening, although the old pole lamp from the house works quite fine for now.

I haven’t been to Starbucks in 4 days now, so maybe I can make it there today.  I also need to go to London Drugs and pick up some stuff and then Canadian Tire is having a huge sale on cookware and small appliances.  A 13 piece Lagostina cook set is regular priced at $1100 and it is on sale for $299 so I might as well jump on it.  I have researched everything I can and from what I can find out Lagostina is top rated for home chefs.
LAGOSTINA POT SET ON SALE
FOR $300 AT CANADIAN TIRE
REGULAR PRICE $1100
I had a couple of home cooked meals yesterday and finally got to use my stove.  I made a breakfast of bacon and eggs and for dinner I just ended up making vegetable soup and a salad.  I just didn’t feel like anything more.  Although I did have fresh strawberries for desert.  I sure wish I could have had them with milk, but my milk drinking days are long past me by now.
WHISTLING TEA KETTLE
There are only two boxes left in the dining room and living room to unpack and only one in the upstairs.  There’s still lots of stuff to carry up and down and to sort through, but the house is much more useable and looks a lot more livable now.  I don’t even want to think about all those boxes in the garage.  I will start to work on those at some point, but the priority was to get the living area finished off first.

Of course the advantage of getting to work on the boxes in the garage is that I will be able to find my tools and some other missing items.  More importantly, I should be able to slide the boat back another 10 feet or so which will comfortably allow me to bring the truck inside and stop parking it on the street.  It’s not a super big deal parking it there, it’s only a one block walk, but the whole idea of this garage from the beginning was to be able to park both the boat and the truck in the garage.

If for some reason I have miscalculated and the truck still won’t fit, I’ll slide the boat forward and I’ll be able to set up the pool table and have a little games room and maybe a little workshop.  Either way it works out will be fine with me.  In fact, I’m almost leaning towards the latter, but truck in the garage is more practical.

Renee returns on Thursday due to the Easter break and I hope I have made enough of a dent in everything to impress her.  I already know where the big painting of my Mom’s is going to go and that’s in the alcove between the two staircases, above the shelves.  From there, I’m not at all sure where to hang other paintings and photos.  Several people have suggested I have some of my more amazing photos enlarged, framed and make a feature wall of the more impressive ones.

Last night I watched James Bond Spectre on Blu-Ray on the newly wall mounted TV with sound bar attached and let me say that it was spectacular.  The sound is amazing and the picture is even more so.   Blu-Ray approaches full 4K Ultra-HD definition and it’s even better than seeing it in the theatre.  I can’t wait for the new Star Wars Force Awakens to be released on Blu-Ray.

I’m sure glad I opted for the 4K TV now, even though I was dead set against it.  Of course the only thing that ensured that, is that it was only $200 more than the equivalent size 1080 TV.  The only thing that could make this more of a movie going experience is popcorn and I have that covered as soon as I figure out where to put the popcorn maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment