Saturday, April 2, 2016

035 BOXING DAY OF A DIFFERENT SORT

Things are moving right along and I think I have reached a major marker point.  There are no boxes left in the living area at the house and Bekins is coming today to pick up the stack of their boxes that have accumulated during the unpacking.  I have had to flatten them and arrange them into sizes so that whoever comes to get them can more easily fit them into bins on the truck.  It was kind of difficult to figure out who to phone to arrange this, but I finally got it figured out.

So last evening, I went down into the garage and arranged the fifty or so boxes into flat packs of varying sizes and then I got ambitious and actually managed to empty 8 more boxes in the garage.  I even found one box marked tools, but when I opened it, I found it was full of tools like a grease gun, torque wrench and a series of huge sockets that would be used by a heavy duty mechanic.  Why Dad would have had those is beyond me, but none of them are any use to me at this point.

On Monday evening last, my garburator suddenly quit working.  I thought it was something jammed but despite my best efforts could not locate it, or get it unstuck.  This is made even more difficult because I cannot for the life of me find my tools, which are buried in the multitude of boxes still left in the garage.  In any case, I phoned in for warranty work and the fellow showed up yesterday.

He pulled the garburator apart and could not find anything jammed in it and concluded that it just “gave up the ghost” as it were.  He then popped out and returned twenty minutes later with a brand new unit which he proceeded to install.  It works like a charm.  He said he has been installing the same units for years and never had one fail before.  Just my luck.

Another problem has since arisen.  The dishwasher which works like a dream, suddenly has a problem.  I haven’t had a dishwasher for years, but the one that Mom & Dad had growing up and the one in my former house were so loud when in operation you could not stay in the same room or have a conversation.  This one is so quiet you have to put your ear against it to see if it’s on.

Anyway, suddenly the dishwasher is finishing its cycle with a large pool of water in the bottom.  So, I broke out the instruction manuals for both and in the troubleshooting guides both indicate that the installer may have forgotten to take out the knockout plug for connecting the dishwasher to the garburator.  I will check on that when I go downstairs.  I may even be able to fix it myself as I do have a screwdriver and brute force, which is what the manual says to do.  “Punch out” the plug it says.  I used to be pretty good at punching things out that needed it.

One other problem I encountered, is that I had an external gas line installed on the deck, to connect the BBQ to.  The other day, I spent an hour trying to figure out how to connect my BBQ to it.  Well, it turns out that it is a totally different system between Natural Gas and Propane BBQ’s.  So I looked into having mine converted.  It worked out to be cheaper to buy a new BBQ than convert the old one.  So I got myself a brand new Broil King and it was delivered last evening.  Pre-assembled no less, because again, I have no tools.  It was a quick matter to hook it up and I made us a great steak dinner.
COOKING WITH GAS

Overall things have gone pretty smoothly with the move, other than the ongoing saga of TELUS, but that is an already told story.  I love it here and mostly feel a part of the community already and have met a bunch of my new neighbours and everyone seems great.  Some haven’t even moved in yet, but are here “visiting” their houses and looking forward to their possession dates, just as I did.  I think we are going to have a great little community within the community at large.  I haven’t had this feeling since moving into our cul-de-sac in Surrey all those many years ago.

I didn’t really feel a part of the community in East Van, although I did meet a lot of people once I got Toby.  We had our own little dog community at the park across the street.  I am happy to be here and wake up in wonder every day.  I also have moments where I miss the old house, but not the living conditions over the last 20 years.  I even have had dreams about the old house and wake up surprised that I am not there any longer.

Last Wednesday on the way to hockey, I stopped to get my skates sharpened in my old neighbourhood.  They are the only ones I let touch my skates, so it is worth the diversion.  Afterword’s I had to drop off the heaters that were given to me by the uncle of the new owner, so that I could survive the winter without the furnace.  When I left his house and continued on the way, I looked up the street and way in the distance I could see the old house.  It gave me a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach as well as a wave of sadness.  But, I kept driving and the feeling slowly went away.


No comments:

Post a Comment