Tuesday, March 8, 2016

021 THE BIG DAY - COUNTDOWN DAY 0

JENNIFER KNUCKLE BUMP
KEN GIVES ME THE KEYS

Here it is, the big day.  It literally felt like it was never going to come.  I was worried the whole time that something would go wrong and the deals would fall through, but everything was smooth sailing and it is all a done deal now.  I’m only a little excited as the 4:30 AM wakeup will attest to.  It isn’t that unusual though, as my sleep patterns over the last year and a bit have been all over the map and even 2:30 AM wake-ups are not unheard of.

We went through our usual morning routine of the dog park, then an early lunch and Starbucks.  Finally, it was time to head out and take possession of my new townhouse.  The deal was completed yesterday without a glitch at all.  I think it must be a sign from above though, because when I headed out on the highway, it was pissing rain and by the time I got to my place, the sun was shining.
TRUCK IN GARAGE
FIRST TIME
Every time I have visited it over the last 5 months, probably 12 times, the sun has been shining.  I have never seen my new place in the rain.  I’m thankful for that because I have had quite enough rain in Vancouver over the last 12 weeks.
UNWRAPPED GIFT


HOUSEWARMING GIFT
Once I arrived, I was greeted by Ken and Jennifer who had me sign the final documents and then the big moment when they handed me my keys.  I visited for a while longer and then it was time.  I walked across the street and into my new place as a full-fledged owner.  I took some time to drink it all in and just savor the moment.  My alarm company rep arrived minutes later so that is all done.
FRONT WINDOW
After he left, I pulled my truck into the garage for the first time.  Then I let Toby out to come and explore his new home as well.  He was very curious and wandered all over the garage sniffing at empty walls and the floor and then we went upstairs, where he went and checked everything out.  He walked to the front window, where he can stand and look out and watched the landscapers working on the yard.
FIRST MEAL IN NEW HOUSE

JUST CHILLIN

There is not a stick of furniture in the house yet but the first thing in the new fridge was a can of dog food as well as the first thing in the cupboard was a can of dogfood and a bag of treats.  Toby also became the first one to eat a meal in the new house.  I hung a few items of clothes in the closet and just wandered around as I waited for Shaw to arrive to hook up my cable and internet.
FENCE UP, LANDSCAPING UNDERWAY
 I already knew that TELUS was not coming as they keep telling me my address doesn’t exist.  So I settled down to wait for Shaw.  I had bought Toby a brand new dog bed a few days ago and he won’t use it, so with it being the softest thing in the place, I settled down into it myself.  Here I am lying on a hardwood (laminate) floor, with my trusty sidekick lying beside me.  I’m just starting to drift off when the phone rings.  It’s then I find out that Shaw has mis-booked my appointment somehow and is coming on Saturday instead of today.
BACK YARD VIEW NOW
If these are the only two things that went wrong over the six months of this deal, I think I’m doing pretty good.  So at this point I gave up and we got back in the truck and headed “home”.  I’m pretty stiff and sore from lying on the floor, but what can you do.  I’m just glad it’s done.  The next stage is the packers coming on Thursday.  Then I have to be back at the new place for my beds to be delivered.  Friday morning the movers come and the transition will be complete.
SOMEONE IS COMFY IN NEW HOME

Just after I got back here, TELUS phoned to say they had finally straightened out the problem and my address now exists in their database and so they will be coming on Friday evening to install my new phone.  It took some finagling, but I managed to be able to keep the new phone number I was assigned two weeks ago.  Good thing, because I had already memorized it and I had also made a bunch of notifications of the new number.

IN TOBY'S NEW BED, TRYING TO REST
Next in line is The Brick delivering my furniture on Saturday and Shaw hooking up my cable and internet.  Sunday, after hockey we take the final item (my boat) from the old place, to the new place and I will cease to be a resident of Vancouver and escape the clutches of Mayor Moonbeam and his bike lanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment