Friday, March 4, 2016

018 LAWYER DAY - COUNTDOWN DAY 4

Today, everything inches closer.  Today is lawyer day.  I have to go to the bank and get a bank draft to give to the lawyer and then sign the documents to complete the purchase of the house.  These are essentially the last documents to sign before completion on Monday, although there will be a few last papers to sign on Tuesday when I get handed the keys to my new place.
HARD AT WORK
Yesterday I entered in the beginning of the final days of prep work.  I had the 1-800-GOT-JUNK people bank in and they took away another full truckload of stuff.  There is still a bit more left, but I don’t know if there is enough to warrant another trip by them.  We shall see.  It’s amazing how much junk was in this house.  I have had the GOT JUNK people in twice and they have taken away two small dump truck loads and this doesn’t even take into account the loads and loads of stuff my sister and her family hauled out of here in the first half of 2015.
YESTERDAY'S CREW.
GUY ON RIGHT WAS HERE
LAST TIME TOO

I suppose it is understandable when you take into account that the family has been in the house since 1945 and we found stuff in the attic from the 1930’s.  This is absolutely in no way to suggest that this was a hoarder situation, because it was nowhere near that, it was just the standard accumulation of stuff.  My parents and grandparents went through The Great Depression and through WWII so anything that could be saved and reused later, was.

I had a lot of stuff here to that I just couldn’t bear to throw away, even though I knew they would never be used again.  For example, there were 26 pairs of ice skates some mine, some my Mom’s.  There were 7 sets of golf clubs, one set mine, the rest my Dad’s.  It’s nice to know though that the golf clubs and skates are being donated.

After yesterday’s cleanout, I actually saw the back porch empty.  I have never, ever seen that before, not even as a little kid.  The rooms upstairs are completely empty now except for stuff that will be coming to the new place.  It amounts to a few boxes and the attic amounts to a small room full of stuff.  The biggest chore will be the garage which contains my old pool table and a whole lot of tools as it was Dad’s workshop.
NEVER BEFORE SEEN
EMPTY BACK PORCH
My living room area is looking decidedly empty now with the 4 huge speakers, 3 smaller ones and a large sub-woofer having been taken to my daughter’s place a couple of weeks back.  Yesterday I got rid of several small pieces of cast-off furniture that I had used to hold junk.  Stuff is stacked up against one wall ready to be moved.
EMPTY KITCHEN
As mentioned yesterday, the “fear factor” has kicked in and I am getting more nervous as time marches on.  I’m hoping that will be replaced by euphoria when the extremely busy week next week is completed.  There will still be the running around required to get furniture and cooking gear for the new place, but that could be fun as well.  I can research online, but I need to physically see and test the furniture before purchase.  It needs no fit the décor that is being planned, not to mention physically fit the dimensions of the room.
EMPTY UPSTAIRS LIVING ROOM
EMPTY KITCHEN REVERSE VIEW

For example, we have an awesome dining room set picked out, but it is a fairly lengthy table and we need to know if it will actually fit into the dining room.  It is called a “Harvest Table” and it is designed for a family gathering at harvest time.  This will be a dining room table, but it will be a general use table as well, so it is not a typical “shiny” wood table.  It has a textured surface to make it appear to be made of roughly hewn wood.

ONE OF THE CHAIRS
CAN'T GET A TABLE PHOTO



Anyway, the excitement is ramping up and so is the busy factor.  Next week will be insane, especially with all the shuttling back and forth between the two places.  On Tuesday alone I have to be there to sign the paper and get my keys.  Then I have TELUS, Shaw and my alarm system all being installed in the afternoon.  Sometime in between I have to find and attend the post office to complete my redirection of mail, get assigned a box in our “Superbox” and pick up the keys for that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment