Monday, February 29, 2016

015 THE FINAL COUNTDOWN - DAY 8

It’s the final countdown.  Yes, I know, more song lyrics.  I kind of like starting blog entries with various sets of song lyrics.  Well, here we go, 8 days to go before I take possession of the house.  Granted it will be a few more days after that before I get fully moved in and staying in the new house.  There is sadness in getting into the final few days, but there is a lot of joy and happiness as well.  I really can’t wait to get this over with and begin to start on the path to my new life.

The whole point of this blog is to give me an outlet for the feelings and the stresses.  It is also to document the path of making such a life move at the age of sixty.  I know lots of other people make moves later in life to downsize, or because of health problems.  In my case I’m actually upsizing in going from a 600 square foot basement to a 1500 square foot townhouse.  But I’m also downsizing in the fact that I’m getting rid of maintenance and yard care issues that are increasingly difficult to do because of nagging long term injuries.

I have always liked writing and have done two other blogs in the past, I also keep a journal of activities every summer at the lake.  In that case it’s an everyday entry and I don’t intend to make this blog an everyday thing.  Sometimes I will make entries sporadically and other times it could be multiple entries the same day.  It’s just when the feeling strikes me, or the need to blow off some stress.

I still have so much to do, but thankfully packing isn’t one of them.  Yes, I have to organize a few things, but I don’t have to physically lug boxes all over the place.  Sort of like yesterday when I helped my son move.  I just drove my truck and Karl and his friends loaded it and then I drove it to the destination.  He is quite literally just across the Fraser River from my new house.  We can just pop over the Golden Ears Bridge for visits.

Today I have to get busy and get 1-800-GOT-JUNK back in here to get rid of the remaining junk that I don’t want to keep and certainly don’t want to pay to have moved.  I also have to work the phones to finish off the address change list that I cannot do online.  I also have to work out what I need to keep out of the packing, for example clothes or dishes that I will need for the final couple of days.  Also stuff that I won’t have the moving company move such as various items of camera gear.

One thing that popped up in my email today that I forgot to put on my list is that Toby’s dog license is up for renewal in Vancouver this month.  When I logged on to get a phone number, I discovered that there is a link to cancel his license.  It gave 3 options, dog died, dog given to someone else or no longer living in Vancouver.  Now I have to call Maple Ridge and arrange for him to be licensed there.


As I listed in my last blog entry, busy, busy, busy.  It certainly doesn’t look like it is going to slow down anytime soon.  Even after the move I will remain busy for a while with documents and getting the house set up with furniture and unpacking things.  Even just settling into the new house and community will be some work in and of itself.  I hope I end up with nice neighbours and that we end up with a fairly tight knit community when the whole complex construction is done and all residents are moved in.

No comments:

Post a Comment