Saturday, February 13, 2016

005 DREAM HOUSE

They say that people have a “dream house” that they are destined to want.  Some people are fortunate to have found their dream house and some people more than one, but maybe not all at the same time.  They do change over time as well.  What started out as a dream house can become a nightmare over the long haul.  That’s because the house ages, as we all do and our wants and needs change.

The old house at one time was my dream house, because this is where I was born and raised and it was always “my big white house” growing up.  I wanted to live here forever, but that changed as I grew.  When I got married and moved into our first home, it was a 4th floor penthouse apartment in south Vancouver.  Pretty cool, but hardly a dream as there were no elevators or parking.  My van and my motorcycle were parked somewhere on the street within a block of the building and my boat remained here with my parents.

Then we had saved enough for a down payment on a townhouse in Richmond.  A very nice complex with nice neighbours, but again with limited parking.  My wife’s car and my motorcycle were in the tiny carport and my van stayed in visitor parking.  The boat still remained here with Mom and Dad.  It had lots of room, 1500 square feet with three bedrooms on two floors.

Finally, we moved to my first “dream home” in Surrey.  The house was huge, 3200 square feet with a double garage and a long driveway.  This time the boat came along and was parked beside the driveway, since it was too long for the garage.  By this time, I had a car, but because one half of the garage was filled with stuff, it got to stay outside.  We had a huge yard that backed onto a forested area with a creek running behind it.  Awesome, but the yard work, oi-vay.  It took 90 minutes just to cut the grass, once a week.

After my separation I moved back home to help Dad and of course to help me with a much needed place to live.  I moved into the old basement suite which had been converted years ago to a rec room.  The pool table I had built in high school was still standing, which dominated most of my living area.  Dad was adamant that I not move it either.  It didn’t matter that he had not used it in many years.  Finally, after two years of living with no space, I just folded it up against the wall.  What started out as a temporary situation, stretched into a full 20 years (March 1996 to March 2016) in this tiny and cold basement.

I did love living here, as it was “my big white house” from my childhood.  The location is amazing, right across the street from Sunrise Park, but the house is old.  I did the yard work and maintenance.  I even painted the house twice for Dad in that time.  Eventually the house officially became mine, but by now, age, injury and debt had taken its toll.

My new place is a “dream house” because it is brand new and it requires no yard work or exterior maintenance and as long as I take care of it, the interior maintenance will be minimal as well.  It met all of my criteria in a home except for one thing.  I wanted a central furnace so I could later install air-conditioning.  I didn’t get the furnace, but the air conditioning is still a possibility eventually.  It also is built on the edge of a forest with a stream and has a garage big enough to hold the boat and the truck.

It literally became a “dream house” last night because my dreams overnight were dominated by this upcoming Wednesday’s “unveiling” for want of a better term.  I call it that, because I literally have not been inside my actual unit yet and have not physically seen a unit with my floor plan.  My dreams were so dominant last night that when I woke up this morning, I was completely disoriented as to where I actually was.  My current space looks different without the huge speakers and it took me a few minutes to wake up and figure out my location.

No comments:

Post a Comment