Tuesday, February 9, 2016

001 THE BEGINNING OF THE END

THE HOUSE IN 2015


First a little history.  My grandfather bought this house in 1945 for the amazing price of $1500.  My Mother who was a grown adult at that time, moved in with them to take care of her parents.  After she married my Dad in 1950, he moved in as well.

Dad then built a suite in the basement where they lived until I came along in 1955.  In 1958 my Grandfather died and then in 1960 my Grandmother had a stroke.  In the interim, my sister arrived on the scene in 1960.  At this point the house passed into the ownership of my Mom and her brothers.  Since they each had their own homes in other parts of the world, Saskatoon, Long Beach, Jamaica they signed over ownership to my mother, no questions asked.

We went along as a happy family of four until I got married and moved out in 1982 followed a couple of years later by my sister.  In 1992, Mom died of cancer, leaving my Dad on his own.  He was in his mid-seventies at this point.  The house had been willed to my sister and I with Dad having lifetime tenancy privileges.  Unfortunately there was a screw up at the Land Titles Offices and the house was put into my Dad's name.

In 1996 when I separated from my wife, Dad invited me to come and live with him, in the very same basement suite that he had built so many years ago.  It gave me a place to live and it gave him the added security of having a policeman living in the basement.  Believe me, it wasn't without its trials and tribulations for quite a few years.  I had no stove and no shower facilities.  Dad and I tended to clash like oil and water on occasion.  But we always worked it out.

Initially, I could not afford to pay rent as I was living on a mere $100 per month for the first year plus.  Dad would not hear of it in any case, even when I got back on my feet.  I made up for it by running errands, taking him to Doctors appointments, doing yard work and maintenance projects around the house.  People used to bug me about how I was living rent free, but I did work for my keep, in addition to working shifts.

We had a few scares along the way with Dad having various health scares including several heart attacks.  One of the biggest scares came in 2011 when I got a 2:30 AM phone call from the RCMP saying Dad had been driving erratically and could I come pick him up.  By the time I got to where they had him pulled over, the intersection was full of police cars, fire trucks and ambulances and then I saw Dad on a gurney with a fireman sitting on his chest doing CPR.

I thought that was it that night, as he had gone into full cardiac arrest and then had his heart stop three more times on the way to hospital.  By the time we had gotten to the hospital, Dad was in Emergency and arrested three more times.  The Doctor told us at that time that if he arrested again, they were going to "let him go".  As luck would have it, he stabilized right then.  He arrested once more while in ICU, but was quickly brought back.

Dad amazed us all by waking up just in time to see the Canucks lose to Boston in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.  At this point there was no reason to believe he would ever get out of hospital and come home.  He fooled us all though.  After three months in hospital and care homes, he was discharged and came home, where I became his care giver full time.  Dad survived another 3 plus years.

In 2013 the error in the house ownership was discovered and moves were made with a lawyer to put it right.  Dad wanted me to be able to stay in the house and so an agreement was reached and the house was signed over to me, with a mortgage held by my sister, due and payable 30 days after Dad's death.  The real estate market in Vancouver had not by that point gone completely insane.  while in the lawyers office, the statement was made "if the bottom falls out of the housing market and you decide to sell, then you still owe us this money.  If the market goes up and you decide to sell, then you have made a tidy little profit".  Prophetic words as it turned out.

On January 4, 2015 Dad finally lost his battle and passed away a few days after his 96th birthday.  Now the scramble was on.  My sister and her family arrived the next day and started clearing out Dad's stuff and things in the attic.  There was stuff up there dating all the way back to 1945.

As per the agreement, I obtained a mortgage 20 days after Dad died and paid my sister.  The house was now officially mine, but of course that came with crushing debt.  It’s ok, I was going to make it work.  I had the mortgage amortized over 25 years to minimize the payments as much as I could.  I had already been retired 10 years by this point and was living on a fixed income.  A very nice income mind you, but still fixed.  The $1900 per month payments though did not leave a lot left over to live on.

Add into this the fact that I had suffered a significant back injury, then a broken wrist and followed that up with a knee injury, which left it near impossible to do the required yard work, or maintenance on a 70 year old house.

I kicked around suggestions and ideas of how to make it work.  Could I get a job?  Not likely at age 60 and inquiries proved that assumption.  How about staying in the basement and renting the upstairs?  Possibly, but I still had the problem of no stove and no shower facilities.  I had so little disposable income that solving that problem was almost impossible.  My sister offered to put in a shower at reasonable cost, but in February 2016, I’m still waiting for that to happen.

I spent the summer thinking about it and agonizing over it and trying to figure out what to do.  Renting out the upstairs was not practical for the reasons I listed plus the fact I was not at all keen on being a landlord, nor living with strangers.  Renting the basement and living upstairs, was not doable for the same reason.  Finally, after a summer full of stress and money problems, I came to the inevitable conclusion that it was time to move.

I contacted my old boss and good friend from work who was now a real estate agent.  We got together and he took a walk through the house.  We decided that the house would go up for sale at a listing price of $899,000.  Quite an increase from the $1500 that my Grandfather had paid.  Neil was fairly confident that we would probably end up with something closer to a million bucks.

NEIL PUTS OUT THE SIGNS


The house went on the market and on the first day of the open house, 35 people went through.  On the second day 72.  Meanwhile the real estate market in Vancouver had gone into frenzy mode.  By the time we made it to offer night, we had put on a restriction that anyone wishing to make an offer had to present a cheque for $50,000 in trust, to prove they were serious.  It was insane.  There was one fellow who came in and presented a cheque for $150,000.  I think he was serious.  The advantage here was if we reached a deal with any of them and they backed out, the money was mine and we would do the sale all over again.

We took 18 offers that night.  Some were lowball and one guy even tried to make an offer for less than asking.  The agents who appeared ran the gamut from total sleazeballs, to very professional and everything in between.  One guy who came in looked like a character from central casting for the TV show The Sopranos.  The fellow who presented the $150,000 cheque was the one who got it.  His offer was totally clean with no subjects and a total of $1,270,000.  An offer that was so far above my expectations as to be mind boggling.  Even my real estate agent could not believe it.

SOLD


Even more amazing was one lady made an even higher offer of $1,2888,888.88.  We dubbed her “Crazy Eights” but the offer was full of subjects and some “shady” stuff.  Plus she wanted me to pay $2000 per month rent to be able to stay until I got a place to move to.  We took the lower, clean offer and she went ballistic.  She could not understand how we could take less money.

FIRST VIEW



That out of the way, I had to find a place to live.  I decided I wanted a brand new townhouse, so that I would not have to worry about interior or exterior maintenance.  We looked at places in Surrey, White Rock, Langley, Coquitlam, Burnaby, New Westminster and Maple Ridge.  I set a criteria of what I needed.  I had two lists, one was “absolute must haves” and the other was “nice to haves”.  Some of the priorities were brand new, garage big enough for my boat, gas stove, etc.  We found an incredible place in Maple Ridge that had every single thing on both lists except one and that was a “nice to have”.

It's amazing how fast that much money can disappear.  After buying my new place, which as of this writing is still under construction, paying off my mortgage and penalties, paying off agents commission, paying off other debt that I incurred while trying to keep my head above water, taxes and filling the new place with furniture it didn’t leave a lot left over.  But, the big thing is I am now the proud owner of a brand new townhouse and I’m debt free.

EXTERIOR ALMOST DONE



No comments:

Post a Comment