Saturday, February 27, 2016

013 ADDRESS CHANGES OUT THE YING-YANG

This moving is a lot of work.  I have been working since yesterday to try and change my address on everything that it needs to be changed on.  Surprisingly, the two easiest to change online have been my driver’s license and my primary credit card.  Some have made it damn near impossible to do so, even though they advertise the ease of use of their web page.

For example, TELUS has a feature that allows you to move your service online.  Unfortunately, when I go in there to do it, it tells me that my new address does not exist.  Heck, the Federal Government web site recognizes it, and they are one of the most screwed up organizations anywhere.  So, it was a no-go so far for changing my phone service online.  The other screwed up part was trying to change my mailing address for my TELUS cell phone.  Despite sifting through about 1000 online pages, I’ll be damned if I can find the correct one to change my address.

I have been working on this for 3 hours last night and another 3 hours this morning, I have managed to successfully change my address on 9 items.  That doesn’t sound too bad, until you realize that I have 46 address changes to do and that doesn’t include all my friends and contacts.  They were actually easy to do with a bulk email to everyone in my list.

The other one which is vexing me no end is changing my address with the RCMP for my firearms license.  They have the warning stamped everywhere that you MUST notify them of a change of address within 30 days or face criminal penalties.  Umm, guys, I’m trying to change my damn address, but you have made it darn near impossible to do so.  They say I can use my i.d. and password from the income tax site, except it won’t accept the code that I just used 10 minutes ago to change my income tax.

BC Hydro, Fortis BC and Shaw all seem to be designed to make me pull my hair out.  All of them I have to give 10 days’ notice to have my services set up in my new place.  OK, but today is the 10-day mark and I have been trying since last night to do these and haven’t had a lick of success.  I could understand this if I was not tech or internet savvy, but I am, and I can’t figure them out, so I have no idea how anyone else can do it.


I booked my movers online without a whisper of trouble.  I booked 1-800-GOT-JUNK online without a single snafu, but changing my address is becoming a life changing event.  I feel sorry for people that move multiple times, like my kids, but then again, they probably have nowhere near the number of changes that I need to make.  I guess when you live in one place for 20 years to the day, that you really do put down roots and they are very hard to dig up.

No comments:

Post a Comment