Sunday, February 28, 2016

014 BUSY, BUSY, BUSY

Yesterday was a busy day and it turns out almost a sleepless night.  I conked out just before 11:00 PM, but was wide awake at 1:30 AM and I’ve been up since.  I went back to bed at 3:00 AM but was just staring at the clock ticking by until 4:00 AM.  At that point it becomes the law of diminishing returns.  If I fall asleep now, it’s a guarantee I will sleep in and miss hockey, and we can’t be doing that.  I would have a nap later on, but I have promised to help my son move.  Well at least provide the truck.  I’ll try and snooze while he and his friends load it up.  Here we are moving about a week apart.

What made things so busy is that after our regular morning routine, we went furniture shopping.  The number one priority is to get a bed so that we will have someplace to sleep.  The rest can be obtained as we go along.  So on that note we headed off to Sleep Country, to see what was there.  Well, talk about fancy.  I ended up with a Queen size Sealy Posturpedic, memory foam, adjustable bed.  It is going to be an enormous upgrade from the hide-a-beds I have been sleeping on for 20 years, almost to the day.

I even went so far as to buy a second bed for one of the spare bedrooms.  I had not really intended to do so, but both were on sale at tremendous bargains, so I figured I might as well do it at the same time and have them delivered the same day.  I even went all out and bought a couple of very fancy, and expensive pillows for my bed, plus a nice headboard.  The beds will be delivered the day before we actually spend our first night in the house.  I spent the afternoon, evening and part of the night doing the previously mentioned address changes and have 35 of the 46 done.  The others are being stubborn.

I actually take possession of the house on March 8 at 12:30 PM.  Sometime during that afternoon, TELUS will come and hook up my new phone.  I already have the number memorized, probably because the last four digits are the same number we used to use as a non-emergency number in the police department.  Later that day, Shaw will be coming in to hook up my internet and cable TV services.

I have to be back at the old house on March 9 for various errands and hockey at UBC.  March 10 the packers come and get things ready for the move.  I haven’t had a lot of experience moving and even less so packing up everything that needs to go.  The biggest advantage is if they do the packing, then 100% of my stuff is insured against damage.  If I do it myself, it’s only 50%.  Later this afternoon I have to be out to the new place because the beds are being delivered and set up.  Then it is back to the old house for the final night in the old place.

Then we hit the BIG day, the final few hours in the old house.  The movers come and load up what stuff I have.  Very little, if any furniture because I don’t have any.  I have my TV, a chest of drawers, a pool table in the garage and a hide-a-bed but it isn’t coming with us, because my son gets it.  That evening Renee will come out on the Westcoast Express to join Toby and I at the new house and we will all spend our first night there together.


Toby’s 10th birthday is March 10, I entered the police academy on March 10, 1975, some 41 years ago and I actually moved into the basement here on March 13, 1996, so almost 20 years to the day.  It is a week of milestones.  It will be the start of my new life and hopefully the stress levels will then drop right off.  It has been an insane 14 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment