Thursday, February 25, 2016

011 BUILDING HIGHS AND CRASHING LOWS

They say that good things come to those who wait.  Well, I have been waiting.  Now that things are so close though, the waiting is fast becoming unbearable.  This whole process began on January 4, 2015 with the death of my Dad.  That was when I had a 30-day deadline to obtain a mortgage so that I could fulfil my end of the bargain and retain the house.  I really thought I was going to have major trouble qualifying for a mortgage being retired and on a pension.  It actually happened pretty quickly and I was the proud owner of my childhood home.

Unfortunately, as the months passed, the crushing debt was weighing me right into the ground.  The stress of that debt was playing on my health.  Add in the stress of dealing with my Dad’s estate and processing his loss.  Combine all of that with a significant back injury, a fractured wrist, previous knee surgery and my body was taking a physical and psychological beating.

After a summer of debating how I could best relieve the debt and what would be my best course of action.  I made the difficult and yes, painful decision to sell.  That occurred very quickly after I made the decision and called my friend Neil Thompson.  Within 2 weeks, the house was sold.  More accurately 10 days and that is only because the strategy was to leave the house on the market for a week, do the open house on the weekend and then accept offers on the Tuesday evening.

Once the sale of the house was put in motion, then I had to find a place to live.  After extensive searching online and picking out several possible locations, the physical search began.  I was quite open to living anywhere.  Renee was really wanting White Rock.  We looked at a place in Surrey which was very nice and looked like it would end up being “the place”.  It was a bit of a difficult commute for Renee though, plus it was missing several things on my want list.

We looked at a place in White Rock and were shocked.  The location was right on the King George Highway and noisy as heck.  It had literally nothing on my list and it was tiny.  The Master Bedroom was tiny and a queen size bed would have been crowded.  It was listed as a three-bedroom home.  By comparison to what I bought, the spare bedrooms there were about the size of my new walk-in closet.  Not to mention expensive and would put me in the position of another mortgage.

A couple of other places were looked at and rejected outright and then we walked into “The Place”.  It had everything, was within my budget and it’s a nice commute for Renee on the Westcoast Express.  The stumbling block here was the wait for closing on my house.  The days dragged by until October 30 and I received my money, which promptly disappeared.  Easy come, easy go.

Now the wait really began.  The down payment was put on my new home, which was under construction and just in the framing stage.  The projected finishing date was Feb 15, 2016 but allowing for delays Feb 29, 2016 was more likely.  Any further delays could push it back to March 15, 2016, but not likely further than that.

Finally, I got my notice that my final inspection would be Feb 17, 2016, so we are already two days behind the original projected date, but I figured things would progress quickly from there.  The days began to drag by, with the anticipation of the move building.  There was no word forthcoming about what was happening.  I suspected it may be a problem with Occupancy Permits.


On February 25, 2016 I got an email from my lawyer which instantly caused the excitement to build, until I read it and from a building high came a crashing low.  Sure enough there was a problem with either City Hall or the Land Titles Office and certificates have not been issued and so the ten-day notice to close would not be issued either.  The one statement that stood out and which really hit home was “the completion date for this transaction WILL NOT occur on February 29”.

No comments:

Post a Comment