Monday, February 22, 2016

010 THE WAIT GOES ON

The wait goes on, and the wait goes on.  Good song lyrics but the increase in stress of not knowing when exactly I can move is really starting to weigh on me.  I have an estimate from the moving company but no set date and I’ve postponed them twice.  My son wants my hide-a-bed, but I can’t give it to him until I move or I will have no place to sleep.  He moves on the 28th, so I know he would like to get it soon.  I have had the junk people in once, but there is a bunch more to go, including a few things I am still using.

I have said goodbyes to the house and neighbourhood time and again, only to still be here.  That being said, while I was at the dog park today, enjoying a rare bit of sunshine, I looked around at my neighbourhood to embed it deep in my memory.  It was at that time that I realized how drastically my whole neighbourhood has changed.

It used to be all WWII style houses and primarily Italian, English and Slavic families and now there is a plethora of monster homes, with laneway houses added on and it is primarily Asian now.  I’m not being negative with that statement, or racist, it’s just amazing to me just how much the neighbourhood has changed in the last 5 years.  It is no longer where I grew up and those memories will be what stay with me the most.

With no set move-in date as yet, I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Renee and I have gone out looking at furniture and have a few things picked out, but I can’t go buy anything because I cannot give them a date to deliver the items to the house.  I’m trying to get an estimate from a contractor to install a winch in the garage to pull the boat in, but therein lies the same problem.  I would do it myself but I don’t have the tools to drill into concrete and with my back in the shape it is in, I don’t know whether I could physically do it either.

Doing my final inspection and seeing inside my place for the first time, has really whetted my appetite for moving in.  I have done a little exploring around Maple Ridge and seen all sorts of great scenery and potential wildlife photo opportunities.  I’ve also done a lot of searching online.  While East Vancouver is still my neighbourhood, it’s fast being pushed to the edges of my memory and the new opportunities are beginning to fill the void left behind.

It’s all a waiting game and I just have to be patient until the time comes.  It’s just difficult and it’s like being a kid near Christmas and waiting for your gifts.  In this case I already know what the present is, but just the anticipation of embarking on my new life is what is making everything so difficult.  Good things come to all those who wait, and I’m waiting, and waiting, and waiting…


No comments:

Post a Comment