Thursday, January 31, 2019

135 ERRORS AND OMMISSIONS


So, I wake up this morning and look out the window and it’s still heavily overcast and looking like rain.  To add to it, the temperature at 10:00 AM EST is 11 degrees Celsius.  It’s warmer in Vancouver.  Although I also read in a report online that the weather forecast in Vancouver is for sub-zero temperatures and snow.  Just in time for me to come home on Tuesday.  It’s not the first time we have had below zero temperatures this winter, but they have predicted snow at least once a week since November and it hasn’t happened yet.

Oh, well, it’s not like you can do anything about the weather.  I’ve already detailed my fiasco with the camera at Universal security, but I wrote an email to Customer Service and got a replay back today.  I might as well just include it here.

First my message:  Hi. I've been staying at Cabana Bay since January 16 and have visited City Walk 6 or 7 times, I went to The Blue Man Group Concert and I have been in Universal Studios perk 3 or 4 times as well. Each time that I came in I was carrying my Nikon D4s camera with a Tamron 150-600 zoom. There has never been a problem and in fact has been a conversation piece between staff and guests alike. I am not a professional, I do not sell any of my photos, I am just a very avid amateur with expensive gear. Tonight (Jan 30), I was heading in to get night shots of Hogwarts castle, but was denied entry at the security gate. He told me the lens was too big. He said, I could take the lens off and leave my backpack with him. There is maybe $20,000 worth of lenses in there, and I'm sorry, but I would not leave it with former work colleagues who I trusted with my life. I'm a retired police officer. My photos have been nothing but complimentary towards Universal and numerous friends on Facebook and Instagram have expressed interest in coming. Anyway, I did not make a scene, just calmly took my gear and came back to the hotel. I'm a little disappointed by this and thought I would enquire as to the policy. I certainly was not aware of it, as I say I've been in quite a few times on my seasons pass.

And their reply:  Hello Tom, thank you for contacting Universal Orlando Resort™ Guest Services. I regret to hear of the miscommunication you have received regarding bringing your camera to our parks. I can certainly understand how disappointing it is to experience misinformation, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this caused. After partnering with our Security Department, they informed me that while standard cameras are allowed into our parks, professional type of cameras are up to the discretion of Security management. I apologize I do not have an exact answer as to whether it is permitted, as it is determined at the park. I would like to assure you I have formally documented your feedback and forwarded it to the appropriate members of management for their further review. Again, thank you for contacting us.
Best Regards, Brianna Coordinator | Guest Communication Universal Orlando Resort™
So, that’s where that sits.

I have a perfect 5 with all my Uber drivers, but this morning it wouldn't let me book one. It says I needed to finish a transaction from yesterday ($2.00 tip for driver on a $6.00 ride). It didn't go through because Uber said my card was declined. Funny, I had bought breakfast with it 10 minutes before. 45 minutes on the phone with credit card company who confirmed my card is fine, that Uber had blocked the transaction because my home address is wrong. Didn't seem to be wrong for the other 20+ transactions. So, I end up now with a 4.88 rating for their error. So, I took Lyft this morning and it was $5.00 cheaper.


Or maybe not.  My morning driver charged me 61 minutes for a 30-minute drive and then double billed me.  My credit card receipt shows three trips on Lyft and I only took two.  One to the Audubon society and one back.  Instead the bill shows two trips there and one trip back.  I may be changing my mind about these ride sharing companies.  To be fair, they have been great up to today.

All in all, it’s been a great trip and I’ve had a lot of fun and taken a ton of photos, so pretty good, others, meh.  It’s a trip that I’m glad I took.  It involved some major suffering with my feet, legs and back and walking some impressive distances, but it’s nice to prove to myself that I can do it.  Especially when I’m carrying 20-30 pounds of camera gear the whole time, I’m doing it.

Today, I took a detour to an off the beaten path location.  I went to the Audubon Society Raptor Center where the take care of and rehabilitate various birds of prey.  I got some great photos and learned that those big, black birds I always see circling overhead like vultures in a cowboy movie, are in fact Vultures.  There are turkey vultures and black headed vultures.  I haven’t gotten any great pics of any yet as they seem to stay just far enough away.

No comments:

Post a Comment