Sunday, January 13, 2019

120 2018 RECAP FINAL


Christmas Day was very quiet.  I was all by myself.  Not really a new thing for the day, but I usually would head over to Renee’s place in the evening and we would go upstairs to her friend Carol’s place for Christmas dinner.  That would not be happening this year, or ever again for that matter.  I will admit, its kind of got to me just a little bit, especially when none of the kids called either.

I was looking for new photo ops, and I had heard so much about how nice the lighting displays were at LaFarge Lake in Coquitlam.  So, using, logic, I know, bad choice, I figured a visit there on Christmas night would be the perfect time.  I figured if I got there at 4:00 PM, just as it was starting to get dark, would be perfect.  Everyone would be off at Christmas dinner.

Oh, how wrong I was.  I forgot how large a population there is in the area that don’t or can’t celebrate Christmas.  There was between 40,000 to 50,000 people there.  It was literally wall-to-wall people for the entire circumference of the lake.  The lake is 1.5 miles all the way around and you had to shuffle when you walked.  Not difficult for me as I shuffle when I walk, all the time.

The funniest part of the night was the two people who ignored some fencing to stand on rocks on the edge of the lake to take a “selfie”.  Of course, predictable consequences, they fell in.  I heard the splash but didn’t see it.  I don’t know where their iPhone ended up.  I did see the sodden couple hurry past me towards the parking lot.

Anyway, I ended up with just under 1000 photos again.  That seems to be my standard when I photograph an event.  Of course, not all are great shots and a lot are duplicates because of shooting in 5 frame bursts.  Editing will usually cut those down to around 100-200 usable shots.  I have been posting all my good ones to Instagram, so if you want to see them all, you can look for them there.

The next hurdle to get through, was New Years Eve.  I’m not a “party person” but again, Renee and I would usually head over to Caroline and Jim’s place for a New Year’s Eve crab feast.  We would usually be joined by Carol.  It didn’t happen every year depending on their schedule and wasn’t going to be happening this year anyway as they would be in Mexico.  It still felt kind of strange not going and knowing I wouldn’t be going anymore.

Instead I planned a large celebration on my own.  I ordered Chinese Food for dinner and planned to watch some TV Series episodes, and a movie.  The final kicker that Karl told me about was that if you start the movie Forest Gump at exactly 10:37 PM you get to celebrate New Year’s with Lieutenant Dan.

So, I had my dinner, watched TV and then headed up to bed at about 8:00 PM.  So, I watched one movie and then turned on Forest Gump at 10:37 PM.  I started to watch and by 11:00 PM I was fast asleep.  I woke up at 2:00 AM, January 1, 2019.  I had missed the whole thing, both in real life and on the movie.  What a boring guy, eh?

So, that is 2018 all recapped, with all the important events that I can remember, chronicled.  The whole point of doing this was to fill in the gaps and resurrect the Blog for the upcoming trip to Florida.  We’ll see if I can maintain it throughout the trip, filling in updates, reviews and photos of the whole thing.  Much like I did in another Blog about our trip to Hawaii in 2006.  That Blog was called “Sir_Fuzz Travels”

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the trip and the adventure.  2019 is full of new possibilities and possibly more travel and photo ops.  I may even be able to make it back to the lake this year, but we shall see.  It’s still a long way off.  It will all depend on when my first Grandchild decides to make an appearance.  I must be around for that.  So onwards to the new year.  Wishing all a Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment