Wednesday, January 16, 2019

122 OFF WE GO INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER


So, here I go.  I’m feeling a little queasy, but that seems to happen whenever I travel, even when going up to the lake.  So, I’m not terribly concerned.  An hour and fifteen-minute drive and I have parked my truck in Jet Set parking, where I get a discount with BCAA.  The shuttle driver was more than helpful, loading my heavy bags onboard for me.

The previous night I logged on to the Air Canada site to confirm my booking.  Well, at least I tried to.  Between my internet being stupid and Air Canada’s servers being down, what should a been a few minutes exercise, turned into a two-hour marathon.  But it was finally done, and I am confirmed for my trip.

I walked into the airport after finding a cart to carry my suitcase, camera bag and backpack.  In I went to find the Air Canada counter, absolutely jam packed.  There had to be 600 people there and I was 4 hours early for my flight.  Here’s one of the perks of flying Business Class.  I was led past the travelling hoard to a counter where I was the only one checking in.  She weighed my suitcase and carry on camera bag.  The suitcase was 40 pounds and camera case 35.  I’m entitled to two suitcases of 70 pounds each, so I’m well under.

I then went and purchased my American money.  99% of my purchases will be with my VISA card to build up points for my next trip.  But it’s always handy to have some cash with you.  That done, and it hit.  I went racing for the bathroom, and now I know it wasn’t just the usual butterflies.  I don’t know what it was, but I did have a Subway sandwich for lunch.

I finally made my way in, to take advantage of another perk, thanks to all of you.  I had gone out and gotten my Nexus card.  When I got to the security checkpoint, again, I was able to breeze right past the crowd, that was even larger than the Air Canada counter.  Total time when I walked through the door, to the time I was through security, 10 minutes.  Excluding the time spent in the bathroom.

Next perk, I went into the Maple Leaf Lounge to relax before my flight.  There was a buffet with snack type foods.  Another buffet with about 8 different types of wine.  A selection of hard liquor and liqueurs.  A fridge full of various beers.  I was almost sorry I’m a non-drinker.  There were pops, juices, bottled water.  The kicker to all of this, everything is free.  But I still wasn’t feeling great.

The flight was scheduled to be on a Boeing 777, But when we loaded it was onto a brand spanking new Boeing 787.  I don’t think it had ever been used before.  There wasn’t even a scuff mark to be seen.  I went to my seat 5A, and into my pod, which included a large screen TV.  We were given a choice of various drinks and snacks.

One strange thing that happened, is that Business Class usually loads first.  But in this case, maybe because the jet was so new, the catering company was having trouble filling the Business Class pantry, so Business class loaded last in this case.

Once we got past that delay, we had to wait for the plane to be de-iced.  So, we were delayed further.  When we did get on the runway and those Rolls Royce engines kicked in, man did they kick in.  I was literally pushed back into the seat.  I’ve never quite felt anything like that before.  The takeoff run was short as well.

The Pod I was seated in has fully reclining seats.  It was awesome as well, however, I’m 6’3” tall and I would bet that anyone over 6 feet would have the same problem I did.  My feet were jammed into a tiny space and my head was jammed against the back wall.  It literally felt and I hesitate to use the term, in a coffin.  With the way I was feeling by now, probably a good analogy.  In any case, I passed out and a few hours later I was awakened for breakfast.  Served on real plates, with real cutlery.  I had a couple of bites and was up and racing (well as much as I can race) to the bathroom.

Skipping forward, the second leg of the trip from Toronto to Orlando I was on Air Canada Rouge on an Airbus 319.  It felt like 3 of these would fit in the 787.  The engines didn’t have the oomph of those Rolls Royce engines and the takeoff run seemed to take forever.  I had taken a Gravol, so I kept passing out throughout the flight and the one engine sounded “funny”.

The first thing I did after getting checked into my hotel was go up to my room and have a snooze.  I woke up at 4:00 PM and decided to see if I could eat anything and keep it down.  I went down stairs, leving my camera and cell phone behind.  I had my first ever Cuban Sandwich and a salad, it was awesome but for $26 American, I’ll eat elsewhere next time.  But it stayed down.

As I headed back to my room, I ran into Harry Potter in full costume.  He was an adult version and works nearby at the Harry Potter Wizarding World park.  He stays in this hotel in between shows.  It would have been great to get a pic, but maybe another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment