Saturday, January 19, 2019

125 THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER PART 2


The journey continues as I found King’s Cross station.  I’m not a big ride person, but the Hogwart’s Express takes you to another section of the park.  The town of Hogsmead and Hogwart’s Castle.  So, in I went.  Platform 9 ¾.  There was Hedwig in a cage, and I figured it would just be a stuffed toy in a cage.  I should know better.  Yes, it is an animatronic figure and he hooted and stretched his wings and turned his head.  I couldn’t stay longer as they were loading the train.

So onboard I went.  You get into a compartment with six or seven other people.  As you’re moving there is projected scenery such as Malfoy Mansion.  Then Hagrid was flying along on his motorcycle and so was the enchanted Anglia.  When we came to a stop and disembarked, there it was, the town of Hogsmead and Hogwart’s Castle looking over it.

I wandered around the town and saw Zonko’s Joke Shoppe and Honeyduke’s Sweet Shop.  The Three Broomsticks and all the other spots.  There was even another Olivander’s wand Shop with a line up that was maybe bigger than the one in Diagon Alley.

I went in the gates of Hogwart’s and into the castle.  I struggled up the two long flights of stairs and of course noticed the elevator when I was halfway up.  I really wanted to wander around in the castle itself, but it’s a ride and had warnings about people with back problems.  So, I opted out and headed back downstairs, just because I couldn’t get through the mass of people in front of the elevator.

From there, it was back outside, and I was wandering around and suddenly without warning I was in Jurassic Park.  There is apparently an animatronic T-Rex, but I couldn’t find it.  I went down into the “lab”, again missing the elevator, but I didn’t on the way out.

Jurassic Park morphed into King Kong Skull Island.  There were people riding on white water rapids and coming out wet.  There are strategically placed “People Driers”.  I would never go on that ride, just from the speed and violent movements as well as risking soaking my camera gear.

By this time, I was really getting tired and looking for a way out.  The journey would take many more twists and turns before that happened.  I ended up in Popeye’s village and there is another water ride.  It was much slower moving and I kind of thought about it, until I saw the “boat” go right underneath a waterfall and the people coming out looking like they had been swimming.

I went through numerous other attractions, too numerous to remember.  There was Spiderman, The Hulk, Betty Boop, cartoon characters I’ve never heard of, emerging into Doctor Suess land.  It was at the entrance to there that I saw a lemonade stand, featuring fresh squeezed lemonade, turned into slush.  No sugar added.  So, I had one of those.  You expect lemons to be sour but, oh man was this good.  I sat on a rock and rested my aching feet while I finished it.  Very refreshing.  I liked it better than the butterbeer.

Finally, after over 9 hours of being on my feet and walking.  I spotted a guest services person and asked how I could get out as I was spent.  I wondered how much further I had to walk.  He smiled and pointed down the path and advised me the exit was right ahead, only about 200 yards or so.  I thanked him profusely.

Of course, this was only the beginning of the end.  This only got me out the gate of the Universal Park.  It put me out onto Universal City Walk, which is still a lengthy walk just to get to the exit of that, where I could catch my shuttle bus back to the hotel.  Thankfully, there is quite a lengthy section that is a moving sidewalk, so that cut down on the distance I had to walk.  Finally, I was onboard the shuttle, deposited at the hotel and trudged up to my room.

I tossed all my gear on one bed, collapsed on the other and promptly passed out.  When I woke up again around 6:00 PM, I was starved.  I literally struggled to get off the bed, so that I could go get dinner.  I made it downstairs and after my $26 Cuban Sandwich and salad fiasco from the night before, I was hesitant, but too tired to think of anywhere else.

Instead I ended up with a wonderful roasted lemon chicken, mashed potatoes and fresh veggies for only $10.50.  I was really, undecided though as they also had the same meal with a beautifully roasted beef tenderloin.  But I opted for the chicken and hope the beef is there tomorrow.

After relaxing in the room, at 10:00 PM I decided to try watching the Canucks/Buffalo game, streamed on my iPad.  It hadn’t worked on the first night for the Edmonton game, telling me that Sportsnet was not available in Orlando.  I figured out how to make it think I was at home and got to watch the Canucks win.

No comments:

Post a Comment