Tuesday, January 29, 2019

133 KINDNESS ASSISTANCE AND SIZE MATTERS


I must laugh at some of the comments I have gotten about the camera.  It’s funny though, when I have the short, stubby 50 mm lens on it, the camera doesn’t draw a second look.  When I have the heavy artillery 600 mm lens on it, it generates conversation all over the place.  Same camera, just a bigger lens.  The one I have heard the most, and surprisingly mostly from women, is “wow, that’s a big one”.  So, I guess size matters.

I started out this Blog entry, to talk about kindness and how I have been treated by people from the first night.  I probably should have mentioned it earlier, but I am now.  Granted, when I got to the airport, I was sick as a dog.  I just didn’t really know it or was trying to pretend like everything was ok.  A couple of doses of Imodium, took care of the one problem, but I still had the remains of a migraine and a very upset tummy.

I must have looked rather pathetic, dragging my carry-on camera bag, my backpack and my heavy leather jacket.  I was too hot to wear it.  Likely running a fever.  I made it up to the Maple Leaf lounge and staff there couldn’t have been more helpful.  Just helping with little things.

I finally made my way down to the boarding gate, I was limping a little more pronounced than usual and I guess staff noticed.  Our boarding was delayed because catering was having a problem with the brand new 787, in stocking the Business Class section.  This resulted in economy loading first.

The lady in charge was concerned and brought me over a stool to sit on, next to her desk.  When it came time to board, she grabbed my camera bag and wheeled it up to one of the flight attendants and turned it over to her.  She led me to my “cubicle” and put the carry-on in the overhead bin.  She made a point of checking on me throughout the flight, very subtly, but it was greatly appreciated.

After arriving in Toronto, the Air Canada crew arranged transportation for me in one of the golf cart things, right to the US Customs gate.  She couldn’t go further.  My Nexus card got me past most of the lineup and going through security was fine.  My neck bullet tripped the sensors and they were fine with it, they didn’t even want to see my letter.

Arriving in Florida, the effects of the Gravol I took before the flight had worn off and the shuttle driver, loaded my bags for me and then unloaded them for me at the hotel.  I tipped him generously, maybe too much, but I really appreciated his efforts.

The hotel staff during the first two weeks of my stay have been extremely helpful.  I have gotten recognized, I guess firstly because of the big camera that is glued to my hip and they fact I have been here so long.  One staff member told me that most of their guests usually only stay a week or less and I have now been here for two, with another to go.

I have acquired more than a couple of followers on Instagram from staff.  Maybe because I am unfailingly polite to everyone and always have a smile and greeting for everyone.  On the rare occasions I have needed assistance with something, they have been right there for me.  Right down to physically printing out my boarding pass for the shuttle to Kennedy Space Center.

I eat at least breakfast, but usually dinner as well, in the hotel dining area and the cook staff and cashiers are always there with a smile and occasionally, I get a little extra on my order.  I think the point of this whole thing, is reading on Facebook, different articles on people behaving badly, a little bit of kindness goes a long way.  It can be as simple as a smile, a hello or a short conversation and people notice.

I have had one or two instances of “poor” treatment, but from other guests never the staff.  But that may be for another article.  It’s one that has kind of stuck with me and bugged me a bit, but I would prefer to keep the whole idea of this article about kindness and good things.  It’s important for people to remember that a kind word and a smile will go a lot farther than rudeness and mean behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment