Monday, January 28, 2019

132 IT DIDN'T HAPPEN BEFORE, BUT NOW IT HAS


Two days ago, I had a plan to do Disney Hollywood Studios during the day and then head over to Universal after dinner to catch the fireworks.  Unfortunately, it started raining after dinner and then rained all day yesterday and all night.  So, that sort of kyboshed that plan.  So, Sunday became a forced day of rest.

Today, I woke up and it had stopped raining.  It wasn’t exactly sunny, but it wasn’t raining either.  So, I headed out, this time to do SeaWorld.  Now, I don’t really know what I was expecting, but this wasn’t it.  I was thinking a quaint little aquarium of a smaller size, like Vancouver.  Umm, nope.  This place is HUGE.  It has a lake in the center that seems almost as big as Rolley Lake in Maple Ridge.
I walked all the way around that thing and was really getting disappointed with the lack of animals and things to see.  Once I got most of the way around, I started to see some rides, which I have no interest in.  There’s also a huge construction project expanding the park.

My primary goals when coming here were to photograph, penguins, flamingos and pelicans which are all listed on the web page.  I found an interesting lawyer exhibit, oh excuse me, sharks.  They are in an underwater glass tunnel, but hard to photograph because of the lack of light and the sharks moving so quickly.

After that the trek continued.  I finally found what looked like an icy building, but it appeared to be a ride.  When I asked the lady outside, she explained there’s a separate line for those just wanting to see the penguins.  You go down about 4 flights of stairs into a refrigerated room.  The lady warned me it was cold. 32F or 0C.  I told her cold doesn’t bother me, I’m from Canada and she laughed.

Anyway, you get into this room covered by a translucent dome, which allows the same amount of light as Antarctica.  There is real snow and ice and the water is kept barely above freezing.  The penguins which were all born in captivity, seem to love it.  After I wandered around and found a small aquarium for underwater viewing and saw all sorts of tropical fish and seahorses.

When I came out of there, I ended up right in front of the dolphin show.  They did a spectacular job and the animals themselves really seemed to be having a great time.  Each one was also born in captivity at one of the SeaWorld parks.  The do-gooders have gotten to this one as well and the killer whale shows were stopped this month.

After finding my pelicans and flamingos, I headed out and a young father stopped me and commented on my camera and lens.  He asked if he could have a picture and I thought he wanted to take a picture of me with the camera, but what he wanted was a photo of him and his son with the big camera.  Not exactly the setup I would normally use for a portrait, a 600 mm lens and no supplemental lighting.  But I took the shot, gave him my card and told him I’d post it on Instagram and if he messaged me, I would send him a full resolution copy.

After getting back to the hotel and resting for a bit, I decided I was ok, and tonight was the night.  So, I packed up, went down and had dinner and headed off.  I heard the fireworks on Saturday and Sunday at 9:00 PM so I figured I had lots of time to get there, see Hogwarts and be back at the lagoon for fireworks.

Well, apparently, I didn’t research it.  The park closes at 7:00 PM during the week and I arrived at 6:45 PM.  Just in time for fireworks.  So, I skipped Hogwarts and headed right to the lagoon.  Another surprise.  The closing is fountains of water, with a center spray which forms a screen and they project movie clips on it.  It’s a spectacular show, but difficult to photograph.  I shot videos with the iPhone and there were just enough fireworks as well.

Then I made the long trek back.  Took some night shots of various things and joined the masses heading for the busses.  Wow, what a crowd.  I ended up standing in line for the bus and had to wait for the third bus before I got on board and then staggered up to my room.  I will admit it, I’m bagged but feel ok.  Far better than I did my first couple of days here.

No comments:

Post a Comment