Thursday, April 28, 2016

042 ROSES LOVE SUNSHINE

One thing I have noticed on our many walks around the neighbourhood are the many and varied types of flowers.  There’s daisies, rhododendrons, dogwoods, wisteria, lilacs and many others whose names I don’t know.  But the one flower that I don’t see at all, is one I used to see all around the old neighbourhood, and that’s roses.  It kind of amazes me really, they are so beautiful and smell so nice.  Finally, though, the other day, I spotted a lone rose bush in someone’s front yard.  No flowers yet though.
WISTERIA BLOOMS

BLOSSOMS

HAVE NO IDEA

My grandfather used to grow roses, and my Dad after him, in fact until the day I left, there was a Peace Rose in the backyard, that my Grandfather planted.  It wasn’t doing too well anymore because it was overwhelmed by the Lilac tree, but it was still there.  Almost every house around the block in the old neighbourhood had at least one rose bush in it.
PEACE ROSE


When I lived in Surrey, in a little garden at the front of the house, with full Southern exposure, I had six rose bushes.  I did very little to them except dust them with Sulphur occasionally to fight “black spot” and I would dig in rabbit poop, from our two rabbits in the back yard.  Those rose bushes grew to almost 8 feet in height and provided hundreds of blooms all summer.  When my ex and I split, she didn’t want them any longer so I dug them up and transplanted them to the house in East Van.  They didn’t do well there at all because there was too much shade from the cherry tree.  Getting Toby didn’t help them either as he used to gnaw on the stalks.
HAVE NO IDEA

PANSYS


I’m pretty sure you can grow roses in containers, and I would love to do so, but with the townhouse, I’m not sure what I can get away with.  The back deck would be perfect and I don’t think would cause problems, but it faces north and gets limited sunshine until late in the day.  The perfect spot is the front entryway which is south facing and gets sunshine all day long, it’s just with the strata I’m not sure if I can put a container out on the entryway or not.  I see lots of other people have done so, but I don’t want to spend the money only to be told I can’t have them there.
DOGWOODS AGAINST BLUE SKY

LILACS

I would love to plant them in the little garden area right out front.  The plants that have been put there are not doing well at all and it may be because they were planted too soon to finish off the exterior.  Having them in containers would solve two problems.  One I don’t think it would breach strata rules and the second is it would take minimal work on my part, which of course was one of the things that led to me selling the house and moving.  Too much back breaking yard work.
YELLOW DAISIES

It would look very pretty and would bring back some pleasant memories without all the work.  It would also and another touch of individuality to my place.  That being said, I do love how each unit has been designed with a slightly different look, so they don’t look like the cookie cutter approach to most townhouses and condos.  It could be a slightly different colour scheme, different style entryway, some units have decks, some don’t.

I took the first step today by dropping into a nursery to check out what’s available on the container growing front, but I couldn’t find anyone to help me, nor could I find exactly what I wanted.  I’ll go back again and try another day.  What I would dearly love to get would be a “Peace Rose” as a tribute to my Grandfather, but I didn’t see any available in the nursery.  Some red roses would be nice as well.  I’ll keep you posted on what I decide and what I can do.  Here’s hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment