Sunday, April 3, 2016

036 IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH

Well, I have passed a couple of more milestones this weekend.  It’s my third weekend in the new house and it’s also my first time being sick.  A dubious honour to be sure, but there it is.  I had to go into the garage on Friday night to get all my empty boxes ready for pickup by the moving company.  The final tally was 57 boxes and I have at least that many in the garage still.  But, all the boxes are gone from the living area.

All day I felt great with no hint of illness and after dinner I went down ad got the boxes arranged.  Then I got energetic and emptied 8 more boxes.  I even managed to find some of my tools.  Talk about packing everything though, I opened one box of items and found a bunch of mouse poop inside.  It was shortly after dumping it into the garbage that I started feeling a “tickle” in my throat and within an hour I was hacking up a lung.

It got progressively worse overnight with fever, chills and nausea.  I had no energy at all, but we had to go to Rona to pick up the new patio set I had ordered.  I was so bagged that Renee actually unloaded the truck and set up the furniture.  Right around dinnertime, I took a downhill turn and was shivering so bad and could not get warm.  I went upstairs and of course did the Google Health thing, which has been turning minor ailments into fatal diseases for years.  By the time I was done reading, I thought I had Hanta Virus because of the mouse poop.  It doesn’t hit that quick though.

Anyway, I crawled into bed and covered up with the quilt and passed out.  A couple of hours later I woke up and there was Toby snuggled up on the bed next to me and doing his level best to keep me warm.  Renee said that he had been out on the deck with her and about 5 minutes after I went up, he jumped up and headed for the stairs.  She followed him and watched him very gently crawl up on the bed next to me and snuggle in as close as he could get.

He stayed there for hours next to me and every so often he would get a concerned look on his face and lick my hand.  Just to say, I’ve got your back Dad.  It’s funny though, sometimes I wonder about him.  When Renee comes over, or any of my kids come over, it’s like I don’t exist.  But here was a case where he completely ignored Renee to be with me.  It was so sweet.

It’s not the first time he has done it either.  Back when I first got him after about six months, I had pneumonia and he did the same jumping up and staying close to me.  Another time recovering from knee surgery he also got up next to me and was so very careful not to bump my sore knee.  Dogs are amazing creatures this way and I’m sure I’m not the only one this has happened to.

I woke up this morning, yeah, every hour on the hour, but finally got up at 4:00 AM.  I still have a bit of the cough and fever, but feel a whole lot better at this moment.  I have never had a “cold” manifest itself so quickly and starting in the chest, or that seems to have run its course already.  Touch wood that is the case, because I hate being sick and feeling so miserable.


Maybe it was just a way to force me to rest a bit as I have been going solid for the last month.  Today, I’m just going to kick back and enjoy the house.  I’m darn hungry too as I didn’t eat dinner last night.  Meanwhile Toby has wandered into my office and looked up at me with those big brown eyes and put his head on my lap.  I gave him a good ear rub and assured him all was ok, and he has flopped down on my feet and let out a heavy, contented sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment