Friday, April 29, 2016

044 HOME DECORATING

I’ve never been much of a decorator, but I do know what I like.  I have mentioned in previous entries that I am a technology junkie, but on the flip side I have a real love for the medieval side of things.  Hence my love of the TV series Game of Thrones, Robin Hood when I was a kid and all the way to adulthood.  So when I got this place and lucked out with the off-white walls, dark quartz countertops and the grey/brown laminate floor, it just cried out to me medieval.  Even the stainless steel appliances remind me of suits of armour worn by the knights.

That’s why I have concentrated on a blend of modern and old look. Leather couch and recliner in chocolate brown (Renee’s suggestion on colour), the medieval looking Harvest Table and chairs and then getting a very medieval looking chandelier to compliment it.  That is the basic overall colour scheme, dark and white, with splashes of colour thrown in.  The light blue towels in all the bathrooms provide some and again were Renee’s suggestion.

Now it is time to add some accents to the decorating.  I mentioned before that there was an old painting that hung above my parent’s couch for many years, that I have always loved.  That came with me and as mentioned in a previous article, I had someone hang it for me, basically on a feature wall in the kitchen area.  It reminds me mostly of my Mom as it is very subdued colours and a winter scene that makes me think of Saskatchewan where Mom was born.

THE MOM PAINTING


Several people on Facebook, Renee, my cousin and daughter Caitlin have been relentlessly trying to convince me to display some of my photographic work.  I have several 8x10’s that hung in the old place, of various wildlife shots, but what was suggested is that I blow something up big and on canvas.  I could not think of a shot that was worthy of such treatment, but I finally settled on my “Blood Moon Over Burnaby” shot as the only one that might be worthy of such treatment.  Yes, I am my own worst critic.

So after much research, I finally did it.  I contacted a company called ABC Fine Art in Burnaby and after several online exchanges and phone calls, this would be the print.  The wall that it will go on is behind the couch and is 5 feet wide, or 60 inches.  With those measurements we settled on a print 50 inches by 40 inches and I emailed the photo file.
BLOOD MOON OVER BURNABY SHOT I SELECTED

Over the last week I have been waiting on the print to arrive, I have had numerous second thoughts and was worried it was going to be terrible as a big canvas print.  Toby (not my dog) the owner of the shop assured me it would look great.  It was scheduled to be shipped to me today, but various things conspired against that and Toby loaded the print into his friend’s truck and drove it all the way out here himself.

He gave me tips on how to care for it and then the big reveal.  I am blown away.  The shot is incredible and I cannot be more pleased with it.  It fits perfectly in the area designated and looks great with the décor.  The one downside happened when Toby asked if I had a hammer and nail.  He was quite prepared to hang the print for me, but I have no nail and my tools are still lost in the box maze which is my garage.  So tomorrow, I will head out and get some proper painting hooks to hang it.
THE CANVAS PRINT SITTING ON THE COUCH
IT CAME OUT GREAT


Renee expressed her disgust numerous times that I was “not prepared”.  It’s kind of difficult to be prepared with my tools buried and when I was expecting a courier to show up with the print, not the actual owner of the shop and the artist who made this come together.  No matter, I will buy the hooks tomorrow and if need be I will buy another hammer, even though there is probably 10 or 11 of them in a box somewhere.  If it means deflecting all this criticism I will do it.
UNWRAPPED AND ON THE WALL ABOVE COUCH
So the challenge continues.  Deciding what will go on the walls next.  There is a really nice print of a wolf in a snowstorm that Renee gave me.  It’s not my work but that’s ok too.  There is some thought of hanging a painting of a lighthouse I did some time ago.  There are paintings of a police car and police motorcycle that a friend and former colleague painted and they will go in my office.  Then I will dig out more photos I have taken, and put those up.  But none will be this big, or on canvas.  It's just too expensive to do it more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment