Tuesday, December 26, 2017

108 CHRISTMAS SEASON CATCHUP

Well, I have taken you all along on my journey from the beginning of summer right into the Christmas season.  I’m still not completely “right” and there’s a few people that would suggest that I have never been completely “right”, but I have recovered enough that I can now function normally.  I still have issues to deal with, but they are coming along.  I’ll consider myself completely healed the first time I step back on the ice to play a game.

I am resigned to the possibility that may never happen, but I’m still fighting hard to make it a reality.  My foot is still too swollen to get a pair of boots or to put on my skate.  It still gets painful after a long day or a long walk, but I’m dealing with it.  Considering my foot was surgically rebuilt less than four full months ago, I think I’m doing well.  Yes, I am impatient as I want to be back on the ice, but, sometimes these things can take 6 months to a year to fully heal and I may miss the whole season.

I had prepared for that by notifying the organizers of both my teams in August that I was out for the season.  It was the one Doctor who said, “we’ll have you skating again by Christmas” that gave me hope and belief that it could be done.  Christmas has now passed and I’m not close to skating yet, but we’ll take it on a month to month basis and see what happens.

In the last couple of weeks in November Hershal warned me that he would be off on paternity leave for sure on December 18 and earlier if the baby arrived earlier.  Well, baby did decide to make his entrance a little early, so I missed a few days with Hershal and have now been bouncing back and forth between Gordon and Edwin.

I decided to take break on treatments to my foot and concentrate on trying to get my left hand fully functional.  I have gone from almost not being able to close my fingers in hospital, to a point where I have full mobility in my thumb, about ¾ mobility in my index and baby fingers but the middle fingers are still stubborn.  The actual middle finger is about 50% whereas the ring finger just barely bends.  We’ll see what happens in the new year.

After speaking with Edwin about the realistic chance of getting the foot back to normal, he said there is the possibility that it won’t happen, and I’ll be stuck with a somewhat bigger foot.  That was also what the surgeon told me, and we shall see.  I took some steps (pardon the pun) to see if there was another solution.
MY CURRENT, NON-FITTING SKATES

I phoned my skate guy, Jay, at Scoff’s Hockey Shop and explained the situation to him.  I asked if they had skates big enough to fit fat feet.  He told me that he had several very large sizes and he would see what he could do.  So, one day I made the trek into Burnaby to see about getting fitted for a bigger pair of skates.  Unfortunately, there is nothing big enough in the standard size skates.

He did offer me another, somewhat more expensive option.  There is a company in Winnipeg that he deals with, that makes custom fit hockey skates and if I was interested we could go that route.  The custom fit skates are more expensive than standard skates by about $200, but if I can get back on the ice it would be worth it.

So, we got started.  Jay scanned both my feet with a 3D scanner and it was kind of cool to see the images as it took in ever bump, and hollow on the feet.  He said he would send in the scans and then what they do is 3D print my feet and then custom build skates around them.  That way the skates literally fit your feet like a custom skin.  Several NHL players are using them now and these skates may be the way of the future.  I’ll be right in on the bottom floor of a “cutting edge” market.  Again, excuse the pun.


Jay warned that the one big stumbling block here will be the opening.  He says there is absolutely no trouble custom building the skate to fit my foot.  The stumbling block is where you put your feet into the skate.  It must be wide enough to accommodate the foot, but still be able to be laced up.  That may not be possible, but these guys have worked miracles before.  Here’s hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment