Saturday, December 23, 2017

103 CASTING CALL

Walking with the cast on has become very “natural” and I have slowly increased my distance all through September, but the most frustrating part of it is that I cannot drive.  The cast is on my right foot and is quite wide, so it will not fit well between the brake pedal and the console.  I can do it, but I can’t move my foot quickly from the gas to the brake.  Too much of a safety hazard, so I just won’t risk it.

I have resigned myself, that I won’t be driving for awhile, but the frustrating part is that I can’t get an answer from anyone as to how long I must wear the cast.  It’s now been on since the last week of July.  I’m allowed to take it off at night to sleep, but to walk to the bathroom, I must put it back on.  On those nights when I get up several times, I just leave it on.

Finally, I was able to start walking to the bathroom without the cast and then I slowly worked on it until I could walk from the recliner to the dining room without it.  This turns out to be an important step (pardon the pun) in what I have planned very soon.  More on that later.

Every couple of days walking, I would increase my distance by a block or two.  This was important for Toby who is doing his own recovery program as well.  One of the things holding me back though is all the other issues I have been battling.  I need to go to physio to get work done on these issues, but, Renee is only here to drive me on weekends and physio has closed them.  The faster I can get there, the faster my recovery will be, I hope.

The more I worked, the more muscle mass that was starting to return.  I left hospital at 240 pounds and very weak.  I put on 10 pounds, all muscle mass and I am much stronger, and my stamina is better.  I am being very diligent in my diet, to the point I don’t have to test my blood sugar any further.  In the hospital they went from poking my finger 4 times a day, to not testing it at all because my readings were so good.  I do test it about once per month just for curiosity.  I have not had a reading higher than 6.5 and anything under 9 is considered excellent.

I have a very set regimen when it comes to meals and what I eat.  I have breakfast every morning at 8:30 and have the same thing, 2 poached eggs, 2 pieces of raisin toast with Becel, a bowl of plain oatmeal flavoured with vanilla and cinnamon.  I drink a half liter of water and a cup of tea with Sweet & Low and a splash of milk.

Lunch is at 11:30 every morning.  Again, it is regimented.  I have a bowl of soup alternating daily between vegetable and chicken noodle.  6 Stoned Wheat Thin crackers, a can of pink salmon or tuna, alternating days.  Capped with a homemade salad, topped with calorie wise dressing (various).  The salad consists of romaine lettuce, spinach, croutons, half an avocado, half a tomato, stalk of celery, English cucumber and a carrot.  I also drink another half liter of water.

My afternoon snack consists of a red delicious apple and a cup of tea.  The snacks were the hardest thing for me to incorporate.  I have the afternoon snack at around 2:00 PM and evening snack at 8:00 PM which is usually an assortment of berries.  Sometimes some popcorn.

Dinner varies but it involves chicken or other meat and vegetables such as green beans or peas.  Sometimes I have another salad and lately I have been having those little potatoes.  So that’s pretty much it.  I have had one cheat in 4 months and that was when we met up with our old friends from the dog park.  I had a beef dip and the cheat was the fries.


The month of September has dragged out and other than the walks I have been pretty much house bound until the weekends when Renee is here to drive.  Handy Dart was mentioned for getting to appointments, but it does me no good because Toby can’t be left home alone.  He has gone everywhere with me since Day 1 and he’s not about to stop now.  So that limits me right off the bat.

No comments:

Post a Comment