Sunday, December 24, 2017

106 DARTH VADER RISES

Having gotten the good word about removing the cast, I had to wear it home as I neglected to bring my other runner with me.  But, subscribing to the Mythbusters theory of “If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing”, I proceeded to do just that.  On the way home, I did a couple of errands to be ready for Halloween.  As soon as I got home, I removed the cast, never to go back on.  I got dinner ready for when Renee arrived and then went to get my costume on.  It’s interesting how this all came about.
MY NOW EMPTY CAST

Since moving into my new place, I have gotten quite into decorating both for Halloween and Christmas.  I got hold of a 12-foot inflatable ghoul for less than half of its usual price.  I had seen them at Rona’s for $189 earlier in the month, but when I was in there about a week before Halloween, they were clearing out the last of them for $100 which was more palatable, but when it turned out to be just the floor model left, I asked if I got a further discount.  The manager knocked off another $30, so I bought him and brought him home and named him Norbert.
NORBERT THE 12' GHOUL

ME IN COSTUME
CHEAPO LIGHT SABRE

 It’s a little longer story for Darth Vader.  I had joked about my cast throughout the time that I wore it, that it was part of my Star Wars Storm Trooper armour.  From there the seeds of an idea started to grow.  Last year, I wore a camouflage “Ghillie” suit.  I have the suit for wildlife photography rather than hunting.  I didn’t feel like wearing it again, so I started to consider the idea of getting “real” stormtrooper armour.  Was I ever shocked as the “authentic” armour came in at a cost of $1800.  No way was I spending that much for a costume, especially since it was just to hand out candy outside.

I kept checking various websites over the next several weeks to see if maybe they went on sale for a more palatable price, but they never did.  Finally, a week before Halloween I found a website based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, called Halloween Costumes and they had an “authentic” Darth Vader costume, regular priced at $1200, still way out of what I was willing to spend.  Then suddenly, they had a one-day blowout sale and the costume was on for $200.  Still a lot for a costume, but I thought, why not I can have some fun with it.

I thought that the price was in US funds, but it was Canadian as they have a division in Canada which ships here.  It was also free shipping, so I laid down the $200 and hoped it would arrive before Halloween.  It arrived two days after I ordered it.  Was I ever impressed, however, the light sabre that came with it was a cheap plastic flashlight thing.

I called my son who has a cool Luke Skywalker light sabre and he told me they were available in a Darth Vader red and a Kylo Ren one as well.  So, onto Amazon I went and ordered a Darth Vader Black Series light sabre.  It cost almost as much as the costume, but was well worth it.  So that is how I came to have the costume and light sabre for Halloween.

I wanted to wear my old boots with the costume, now that I was out of the cast, but could not for the life of me squeeze my still swollen foot into them.  I even tried to buy new boots, but nobody makes them wide enough.  My runners are a 13 EEEE and are the only shoes that will fit.  So, I was forced to wear them, but better than doing it with the cast.

I got all dressed in the costume and went outside.  It was a big hit with neighbours and kids alike.  The light sabre which also has sound effects just set it off nicely.  Speaking of overdoing things, I walked up and down the road beside my place, directing kids where to get their treats.  I did that from about 5:30 PM until just before 9:00 PM.  I even wore out a set of batteries in the light sabre.  Renee was at the back gate, also in costume and handing out goodies.  I posed for pictures with neighbours and kids and I was amazed at how many wanted to take pictures.
ME IN COSTUME WITH
GOOD LIGHT SABRE

ONE OF SEVERAL NEIGHBOURS
POSING WITH ME

There were even a few kids who were too scared of Darth Vader to approach me and get photos or say hi.  There were one or two who had light sabres who even wanted to fight me.  All in all, it was a very successful Halloween and great fun.  Even though it was a chilly night, this costume is HOT!  I was sweating up a storm inside it.  The eyeholes fogged over within about 10 minutes and I walked around virtually blind the whole time.  I’ll be making some modifications for next year, such as adding a fan for cooling and defogging.


I also carried my iPhone with a series of Darth Vader voices and the Imperial March playing, but it wasn’t loud enough, so I have already added a Bluetooth speaker into the helmet.  That should help.  But I really paid a price after.  By the time I went in the house, my foot had really swollen up, to the point it was hard to get my shoe off and I was in agony.  So, it was well overdone.

No comments:

Post a Comment