Thursday, December 14, 2017

086 A WEE GLIMMER OF HOPE

I don’t know if it was survivor’s guilt or depression or what it was, but a darkness settled over me and I almost wanted to give up and just slip away. I had to consciously and with determination, fight that feeling. The pain in my shoulder was not helping at all and I kept having to be taken for various tests.  I was unable to move on my own and they would strap me into a patient lift to move me onto a stretcher to take me for x-rays, CAT scans and ultrasound tests.  I’m surprised I didn’t glow in the dark from all the radiation I absorbed.
NOT LOOKING OR FEELING
TOO WELL HERE
The patient lift, or as I called it, “The Crane” caused me intensely new levels of pain.  No amount of drugs could help that.  Not injections of freezing or painkillers would do it.  I just toughed it out as best I could and cooperated in every way possible.  I never complained, I just wanted to help my care team, as they were helping me.  I always worried if I was being a pain in the ass and felt guilty anytime I was forced to press the call button.  I even asked the nurses if I was annoying and they told me I was amazing, a model patient and a pleasure to look after.  That made me feel better.

There was an underlying worry among all of them that they were going to lose me as I was still in extreme danger of slipping over the edge.  The danger was all too real, and in some cases of sepsis, no amount of anti-biotics will work.  Apparently, I was fortunate as I am still here, but it was a complete unknown at this stage.

Food was something I did not want at all and I went 5 full days without eating a thing.  At lunchtime on day 6 Nurse Tim, who I greatly respected, got mad at me and gave me shit.  He told me if you want to get better you must start eating.  He then sat down and began to feed me and stayed until I finished the meal.  I can’t even tell you what that first meal was, but I ate it all and I started to feel somewhat better almost immediately.  Better is a term I use loosely here as I was still in extreme danger.
FEET ROUGHLY THE
SAME SIZE
To illustrate the difference between medical personnel and bureaucratic administrators, I had the hospital administrator come into my room within a few days.  I’m still extremely sick and heavily drugged and she’s asking where I live and preparing to have me transferred closer to home.  As she left my room I heard my nurse and a Doctor arguing with her.  She’s wanting to transfer me, and they are trying to explain to her that I am still touch and go and too sick to move unless by helicopter.
She wasn’t prepared to spend that kind of money and said it would be done by ambulance.  Things were getting quite heated outside my room and I heard the Doctor yell at her that if you move him now, you will kill him, and it will be on your head.  I guess the Doctor must have won that argument as I ended up staying two weeks until I was much more stable.

Initially when I was brought in, it was my left foot that caused my sepsis with the skin off my big toe and the ball of my foot.  The photos show both my feet at relatively the same size.  Very quickly however, my right foot began to swell for some unknown reason and I was being told it was gout.  There was mention made of Charcot Foot.  I literally was diagnosed with so many diseases and disorders that I couldn’t keep track.


In any case my right foot swelled up like a balloon to about three times its normal size and one afternoon as I was looking at it a giant pus bubble formed.  I pointed it out to the nurse and said, “doesn’t that look more like an abscess that needs to be drained?” and as I said it, the bubble burst and started draining.  They put an absorbent pad under it and it drained for the rest of the day and all night.  The following morning, a surgeon came into the room and put two small incisions in my foot, one at the top and one at the bottom to help it drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment