Friday, April 5, 2019

150 SAN DIEGO AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM


Wow, if I thought I was sore yesterday morning, today has brought a new level of pain into play.  I hate like hell to admit that I might be doing too much, and I don’t know why I seem to be trying to get it all done in the first few days.  Lordy, I have 2 weeks, although, I do want to go back to both the zoo and the safari park.  See if I can catch up on animals I missed in both parks, or who were sleeping when I was there.

I think on the return visits though, I’m going to book special safaris where I get driven around in a cart.  I’ll research it first though.  I don’t want to go if it’s like the train tour I took yesterday.  It was nice to see the different animals that I did, but it was hard to get good photos, and that’s the whole point of being here.

My right foot was very sore and badly swollen, especially around the ankle area.  So, I resolved that if I was going to go anywhere, I would tape the foot and force the swelling down.  An ice pack would probably help, and I’ll have to see if I can come up with a plastic bad from somewhere.  Then a quick trip to the ice machine.

I was very seriously considering calling this a forced rest day today, just because I was hurting so, but when I looked out the window and saw it pissing down rain, that pretty much sealed the deal.  Although, when I thought about it, I could go visit the Air and Space Museum.  It’s going to be all flat surfaces and should be an easy walk.  So, photos presided over common sense, and I went.
When I arrived, by Uber, I was surprised to see the entrance flanked by an SR71 Blackbird and another jet of some type.  I don’t know what impression I had but the SR71 is about 10 times bigger than I expected.  That would come into play later as well.

I went inside and paid my admission ad the lady gave me the seniors rate.  Even when I told her I’m not 65 yet, she just said “close enough”.  So, I got inside for $15, pretty much what happened at Gatorland in Orlando.  It’s very impressive inside with aircraft and spacecraft sitting on the floor and hanging from the ceiling.

The actual Apollo 9 Command Module is there.  Some of the other highlights include a Spitfire, a P51 Mustang and a Messerschmitt 262, the world’s first jet airplane.  Another thing that caught me by surprise by how big it is, was a mock-up of the Mars Rover.  I don’t know why, but I had always assumed the Rover was the size of an R/C controlled car.  This thing however is the size of a small SUV.

I wandered around taking tons of photos and talking to the volunteers.  I also got chatting with a paramedic from Florida.  Every so often, he would say things like “I smell something” and when I asked what he meant, he said, “I smell the pile” and I wasn’t quite sure what he meant.
Two rooms further on, we spotted a badly damaged New York police car.  Of course, the car was damaged in the aftermath of 9/11.  He told me that he had worked on “the pile” for 2 months after the attack and it has a distinctive smell.  He could smell the remains of the police car from 2 rooms away.  I guess its part of an air museum, since the disaster was caused by two crashing airplanes.

It took me about 2 hours to go through the museum, and even with the easy surfaces and leisurely walk, I was again hurting pretty well by the end of it.  So, I made the decision to go back to the hotel.  While I was sitting on the park bench though, I noticed that aircraft heading for the San Diego airport all passed directly over the Air and Space Museum, which I think is a cool touch.  So, I spent some time taking photos of planes coming into the airport.  When I got back, I discovered that the Internet was down yet again.  So, while I was waiting for it to maybe come back up, so I could make yesterday’s blog post, I fell asleep.  When I woke up 90 minutes later, the internet was back up and I managed to get the previous blog post up as well as some photos.

I went to the usual restaurant and had a great steak and shrimp dinner and they were setting up for another live performance, but I decided that I was too tired and sore to stick around.  I did finally capture a few images for my own private airshow, with a couple of F-18’s doing a flyby.

No comments:

Post a Comment