Tuesday, April 9, 2019

153 SEA WORLD SAN DIEGO


I woke up this morning and was so stiff and sore that I could hardly move.  It was a gorgeous sunny day and I was seriously considering staying inside because of it.  However, it was not an option, since I had already purchased non-refundable tickets to Sea World San Diego.  This would be kind of cool, having seen Sea World on the opposite coast just a couple of months ago.  I’d be able to compare the two.

However, I still had to be able to deal with not being able to walk.  The Uber driver dropped me off at the designated spot, and it was quite a long walk to get to the entrance gate.  I very slowly made my way there, and let me tell you, it was difficult.  Once inside, and through the second bag check in two days, I wasn’t sure what I was going to do.

Then it hit me.  There was a souvenir stand close to me, which also rented those little scooters for people with mobility issues.  I was very reluctant to do it, as it will really be acknowledging my disability, but it was the only way I was going to be able to see it.  So, I rented one.
SCOOTER KING

The first order of business was to try and figure out how to get my heavy backpack, and me onto this thing.  Plus, I needed to have my camera out to be able to photograph the displays and such.  I finally figured out that I could put the bag between my feet on the floor and balance the camera on the handlebars.  Holding it for dear life with my left and the strap around my neck.

Off I went.  Except, I ground very quickly to a stop.  One of the straps from the backpack was hanging over and I ran over it.  I finally got all the straps properly tucked away.  The park itself may have been open at 10:00 AM when I arrived, but none of the exhibits were open until 10:40 AM.  Oh well, on my neat little scooter, I went all around and checked out locations.

The first to open was the sea lion and otter show.  I wheeled into the spot designated for handicapped seating.  There was one other guy in a scooter as well.  But the show was going on and neither of us could see a thing.  So, we both quickly abandoned that.

I was driving around and quickly found the Killer Whale show, which was already in progress.  I pulled into the designated parking spot and had a great view.  Yes, San Diego still has Killer Whales and has no intention of bowing to the pressure to shut it down.  All their whales have been born in captivity and would not be able to survive in the wild if released.  The show was impressive and the kids and adults sitting down low got absolutely drenched.

I moved on from there to numerous other exhibits all wheelchair and scooter accessible.  Even the bathrooms, I was able to drive in and drive right into the handicapped stall.  I did notice that there were lots of souvenir and food stands that were not open during the time I was there.  It’s kind of odd, but the park was not at all crowded and the shows that I did go to there was lots of empty seats.
I couldn’t figure this out since it is spring break for the kids in San Diego, however it is Monday.  Apparently, Mondays are their least busy day at any time of the year.  I was kind of grateful for that. Maneuvering the scooter around was easy, but you really must pay attention because, as always, people are totally oblivious to their surroundings or just don’t care.  Even on this less crowded day, the number of people who would walk right in front of me was mind boggling.  I don’t know how many times I had to slam on the brakes and on a crowded day it would have been near impossible.

The other thing I started to become painfully aware of, is that this is the hottest day since I have been here.  I could feel my arms and legs burning, and I was trying to drive in the shadows as much as I could.  I didn’t bother wearing the sunscreen I brought with me to San Diego and of course it was back in the hotel.  But really, with the way the weather has been, I have not needed it until now.  Even in Florida I never needed to wear it.  Well, I’m paying for that oversight now.  My arms and legs were pretty red and stinging by the time I got back to the hotel.  But I was in for the evening and I applied generous amounts of Solarcaine.  Some cool compresses helped as well. 

After dinner I got back and the private airshow from Miramar began.  Two F-18’s were circling and they came so close that the window in my room was vibrating.  I quickly grabbed the camera and went outside to watch.  This was the closest the planes had been in the week I have been here.  I blasted off over 100 shots trying to get the two jets framed between two palm trees.  I got the shot, but it’s not particularly great due to the low light.

They must have been practicing night maneuvers as they were still flying at 10:30 PM.  Didn’t bother me though as I was sitting and editing photos and writing the Blog.  The noise however from the new people in one of the other rooms was really annoying.  It sounded like they had a heard of kids and were letting them run free.  Running back and forth on the long balcony above.

No comments:

Post a Comment