Friday, April 5, 2019

149 SAN DIEGO ZOO SAFARI PARK


First off, one thing I have noticed is that the wi-fi signal in the hotel is hit and miss at the best of times.  It’s been difficult to post Blog updates and even more difficult to post updates to Instagram.  It was even playing hell with editing, because I couldn’t upload photos to online directories.  Even when it is working, the connection is not that fast.  Other than that, I have no complaints about the hotel.  It’s clean and quiet, except when the airshow from Miramar is going on, but that is just plain cool.

Anyway, when I woke up this morning, I was hurting pretty good.  My back and legs and more so my feet.  Why I didn’t tape my right foot, I couldn’t say.  I have the supplies with me.  It was cloudy and looking very much like rain, so I was trying to decide what to do.  Air and Space Museum or San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

By the time I finished breakfast, it still had not rained and was looking a little brighter.  So, like an idiot, I ignored what my body was telling me and went on safari.  I had absolutely no concept.  I figured it would be more open, but less hills than the zoo itself, but roughly the same size.  I should have gotten a better idea when the Uber ride to 35 minutes to get there.

I still had no idea until I got inside.  I was standing chatting with a San Diego police Sergeant who was working overtime.   After a bit, I headed off on my trek, I even bumped into him several more times.  I had several animals that I was targeting on this “mission”.  Lions, tigers, elephants, rhinos, gorillas and so on.  There is also a huge butterfly exhibit I want to see and photograph as well.

There is plenty of space and lots of walking.  I found several primates, and birds and there was the gorilla enclosure.  These ones were somewhat more active than the ones in the zoo yesterday.  I can’t remember all their names, but the one that sticks out for me, was “Frank”.  Probably because that was my Dad’s name.  Frank is apparently the “boss man” and I found him lounging in a tree in a hammock.  Some of the others were keeping busy, while a couple of the big “Silverbacks” were hiding and sleeping.


FRANK IN HIS HAMMOCK


By now, the sun was trying to come out and it was warming up quickly, compounding my misery.  It’s only a couple of hours in and I’m hurting and limping big time.  I made a point of stopping and resting and drinking a Gatorade.  That helped a bit.

It was around this time that I got talking to one of the employees.  I mentioned that I had been walking about as long as it took to see the zoo yesterday, but it didn’t feel like I had covered much.  This is when I learned the difference.  The zoo is built on about 90 acres of land, while the safari park is on 900 acres, so it is 10 times bigger.  Who knew?  No wonder I was so worn out, especially with starting at a disadvantage.
GOLDEN EAGLE, HE'S HUGE

MACCAW IN FLIGHT

He suggested I take the “train tour” around the outer perimeter of the African section.  It came up in conversation that I am now considered disabled.  He directed me to the ticket booth, where I showed my disability card.  I got the ticket free and with priority boarding, so I didn’t have to stand in the lengthy line. 

The tour was great and got lots of information, I even got some decent photos of giraffes, and the rhino with a few others.  The tour lasted about 30 minutes and it was good to be off my feet for a bit.  Once back, I resumed my walk and discovered a bird show.  Where they had several different species of birds showing off.  Again, it was good to be off my feet.
RHINOCEROUS

Finally, though, at the 7.5-hour mark of mostly walking, I decided it was time to head back to the hotel.  It was then that I discovered how far away from the entrance I was.  I also discovered that I was absolutely spent.  There was no way that I could make it back.  It was hell to admit that to myself, but even harder to admit that to another staff member.  She assured me it was not a problem and it happens so often, that they have a special shuttle just for these occasions.  Long story short, they drove me back to the entrance and I limped out.

Once I got back and had a rest, I went over to the restaurant for dinner.  Boy if this isn't an awful sign of the times. I'm eating dinner in the restaurant and a young family walks in. There is Mom, Dad a young boy maybe 5 or 6 and a baby, maybe 3 months old. Mom and Dad sit on one side. Little boy sits next to the baby in its carrier seat. Mom and Dad break out their cell phones and start doing whatever they're doing. They just weren't paying attention to the two kids. Baby starts to cry, neither parent reacts. Little boy gets up and very tenderly picks the baby up and cradles it. He rocks the baby, gives it the soother and continues to rock it and pats it on the back. The poor kid is trying everything to console the baby, again, no reaction from parents. Finally, after about 10 minutes, Mom slams down her phone, takes the baby away from the kid and glares at him like he did something wrong. Geez!

No comments:

Post a Comment