Wednesday, February 27, 2019

144 TLC - TRAVEL LEARNING CURVE


Back when the idea of travel was starting to percolate in my brain, a couple of months after Toby died, and even before I applied for my Nexus card, I started researching.  I didn’t have any luggage.  Well, I didn’t have any luggage that was viable anymore.  So, I started researching.  I liked the look of the hard side, 4-wheel suitcases and started to investigate those.  Unfortunately, almost every travel site I looked on recommended against the so called “spinner” cases.  The reasoning they gave is that the cases tended to roll all over the place in the shuttles.

So, I looked around and found a good deal on a soft sided 2-wheel case at Wal-Mart.  It was regular priced at $75 but was on sale for $45, so I bought it.  It was a really good size and even had an expansion zipper so it could hold even more.  It came in handy on the way home from Florida.

I also had a carry-on camera case that was also a two-wheel rolling type.  It was well made by Lowepro and darned expensive, but when you are transporting thousands of dollars worth of camera gear, you want top quality.  I also had a camera backpack that I had for years and I used it to carry my laptop, iPad, noise cancelling headphones, various cables, medications and other things.

When I parked at Jet Set Parking and unloaded my luggage and had to walk to the bus stop where the shuttle picks you up, I began to see the folly in this.  Trying to drag suitcases behind you with a backpack on your back was an adventure, especially when you already have trouble walking.  Once on the shuttle, there are big steel racks that hold your luggage, so there was no danger of rolling around.  Plus, the luggage lies on its side.

I had packed the suitcase full of clothes and stuff that I though I might need for my three weeks away.  The same could be said for my camera gear.  Two cameras, one as a backup, 6 lenses, a large flash, a flash for macro photos, battery packs for cell phone, extra batteries for both cameras, batteries for the flashes and various charger units and other things.  Even with all that the suitcase weighed 48 pounds and I was allowed 2 cases of 70 pounds.  The carryon bag weighed 50 pounds.  Not sure what the backpack weighed, but it was heavy too.

I also knew that the weather in Florida can get unexplainably cold on occasion, so I took jeans and wore my heavy leather jacket.  Partly because I was sick, heading into the airport, the leather jacket lasted all of 5 minutes before I was sweating so bad, I had to take it off and carry it.  I immediately checked in the suitcase, so one less thing to carry.  I had my camera out as well, to photograph things in the airport.

I finally found an airport luggage cart to put my stuff on, which was easier, but as soon as I got to the security gate, that’s it.  They go no further.  I was bypassing lines with Nexus card and Business Class boarding pass, but my stuff still had to go through screening, as did I.

I had done a lot of travelling in the past for hockey and baseball tournaments and the last time I travelled was to Hawaii in 2006.  The intense security measures had not kicked up to the level they are now, so this was literally a new experience.  I even introduced myself as a “novice” traveller to anyone who would listen.
NEW SUITCASE AND
BACKPACK

BACKPACK
Anyway, I found myself jealously watching people with “spinner” bags effortlessly pushing suitcases along and even stacking things like backpacks on top.  When I got home, my backpack had one of the main straps break, so I needed a new one.  I searched high and low for a good camera backpack and finally found one again by Lowepro and again quite expensive.  At the same time, I ordered a “spinner” hard side suitcase from Amazon.  It also has an expansion zipper.

For my trip to San Diego, I will be using the “spinner” and the new backpack, and it is big enough that I may not have to take the big Lowepro rolling bag.  I have a much better idea of what gear I used in Florida and what I won’t need to bring to San Diego.  So, I might be able to cut down to just the suitcase and backpack.
SPINNER SUITCASE

As for the suitcase I brought along a lot of stuff that I never used and things I can reduce in size.  I take a lot of vitamins and I brought the whole bottles with me.  This time I have a two-week pill carrier and will sort them ahead of time.  I brought 8 rolls of tape for my foot and 2 pro-wrap.  I ended up only having to tape my foot twice in three, weeks.

So, I learned some valuable lessons on the first trip and will be applying what I learned to the next and future trips.  I may still end up having to take the rolling camera bag and I may need it for future trips.  I won’t be wearing the leather jacket this time, it was darn heavy to carry and hard to get in my suitcase to come home.  My camera will stay in the case and I will use either my iPhone or the point and shoot I now have.

No comments:

Post a Comment