Monday, February 4, 2019

138 BAD PIZZA AND EARLY MORNINGS


After getting back to the hotel last night, I had to wait in line for 3 buses to get here. when I arrived, I was really hungry, so I headed for the cafeteria for my usual dinner.  Holy cow, I have not seen the cafeteria this busy since I got here.  There was not a seat to be found and the lineups for all 4 of the food places, rivaled lineups at Universal, so I skipped that idea.  The TV screens were all playing the Super Bowl and it was 3-3 late in the game.  The Canucks game the night before had more scoring.

Anyway, I was too tired, hot and sweaty to stand in another line, so I went up to the room figuring to make use of the in-house pizza delivery.  I called and ordered.  There were only 5 different types available and none of my favourites, so I was stuck with pepperoni.  I added mushrooms.  Delivery took over an hour and I was starved by the time it got here after 9:00 PM.

I sat down and finished the editing of the shots from the second trip to Gatorland.  It took two full evenings.  I got 1400 plus shots and of those there were at least 400 that were good to great (my assessment).  Of those 400, I had to weed them down for repetitions sake and got it down to under 200.  The door slamming and talking were at an all time high.  I don’t understand how many times someone needs to go in and out of their hotel room.

The pizza arrived and let me just say this.  The food at the hotel has been at the very least good but mostly great.  The pizza, not so much.  I have had some poor-quality pizza in my life, but this is truly the worst I have had, but at this point, I was so hungry, I didn’t care and ate it.

I turned off the TV at 11:00 PM.  I was “watching” Titanic again, but mostly just listening while doing the editing.  I finally got the editing done for Gatorland Part 2, but by now it was almost 2:00 AM.  I concluded putting the logos on the pics and sending them to my iPad for later upload to Instagram.

I settled down and quickly fell asleep, despite the ongoing door slams and talking.  I was in a deep sleep and was jolted awake at 6:00 AM by the phone ringing in the room.  I’ve been here three weeks and that’s the first time my phone has rung.  It scared me, it may be 6:00 AM here, but it’s only 3:00 AM at home and late-night phone calls are never good news.

I picked up the phone and bleary eyed tried to figure out how to actually answer it.  I finally got a voice and it was some guy asking me if I was ready to go.  His voice sounded vaguely like Karl, my son.  I said to him, it’s 6:00 in the morning here.  He said, that’s when you told me we were leaving last night.  It finally dawned on me, it’s a wrong number.

When I told him, he said isn’t this Michael?  I said no and he just hung up.  No apology for waking me up, nothing.  So, I snuggled back down into bed to go back to sleep.  However, that was not happening.  Right about then, the door slamming, loud voices and little kids yelling started up.  So, getting back to sleep has eluded me.  I just decided to get up and write the Blog.

I guess on the bright side, this will help me get used to the time change going home tomorrow and maybe counteract the coming jet lag.  We shall see.  I’m feeling good today other than really tired, but then the day before I left home, I was feeling good too.  It was the travel day when I started feeling so sick.

I’m hoping for a better flight home, but I’m also having some trepidation.  Do I take some Gravol in advance, or just wait and see?  It knocks me out so much.  I don’t want to be hazy for arrival in Toronto.  But I certainly don’t want to be under the influence when I get home as I still have a long drive when I get there.  Especially since all the reports I have seen on Facebook, indicate it is sub zero temperatures and has snowed.  I have no problem driving in snow as I have good skills.  I also have 4-wheel drive and All-Terrain tires.  The problem is the other idiots on the road that can’t drive or are trying to with summer tires.

Bear in mind, I must go through Richmond, home to some of the worst drivers in Metro Vancouver.  We shall see what happens tomorrow evening.  Even without bad drivers, the drive will be slowed down by the weather and increase an hour and fifteen-minute drive to over two hours.  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment