Thursday, September 15, 2016

065 NEEDLES IN THE EYE

Have you ever described something you disliked intensely by saying “I’d rather stick needles in my eye”?  I have many times and in the last few days I have had exactly that done.  Surprisingly it didn’t hurt and I was expecting it to hurt more than anything I could imagine.  Who knew?  But I’m getting ahead of myself here.

This all started a couple of weeks ago, no that’s not quite right, it started many years ago.  As a kid my eyesight was perfect, but then suddenly in Grade 11, I discovered I needed glasses.  I was near-sighted and discovered this when I was sitting in the front row of the class and could not read the blackboard.  So I got glasses.  This almost came back to haunt me a few years later.

At 19 I applied to the Vancouver Police Department after spending the past 14 months in the Police Reserves.  When it came to the medical testing, I just barely failed the vision test.  Two thing conspired to let me in.  One was the massive number of recruits needed and the other was my good record as a Reserve Constable.  However, I had to get contact lenses.  This was when soft contacts first came out.  It took me two hours on the morning of the first day of the academy to get them in my eyes.

After about 5 years on the job, I abandoned the contacts and went back to glasses.  Suddenly after about 20 years, I went back to contacts.  They drove my eyes crazy and with 2 years left in my career, I took the big step to have laser surgery.  I went from 20/50 to 20/10, the eyes of a fighter pilot they said.  It was so awesome and I marveled at my newfound eyesight every day.

Everything was perfect until a couple of weeks ago, when I suddenly noticed a blurry area, a shadow that looked like a cloud and lots of those black floaty things.  I figured they would go away, but they didn’t.  I was due for an eye checkup anyway.  Since the surgery I have religiously gotten my eyes checked about every 5 years and so I booked an appointment.

Everything was going along perfectly.  My eyesight was checking out great and I ordered some custom reading glasses.  On the pressure test for glaucoma, I had a reading between 9 and 12 which is excellent.  Anything over 25 is dangerous.  I had the final consult with the eye doctor, who ordered a second set of photos of the inside of my eyes because he was concerned about something, but didn’t say more.  We did the shots and he put them up on the screen and then pointed out an area and gave me the shocking news.  “You have a tear in your retina”, he said.  We’ll book you a spot in the surgical center and call you.

Knowing how the wait lists are, I figured this would take place weeks, or even months down the road.  The next morning, I got a phone call telling me to report to the eye center in Vancouver at 1:00 PM.  Holy cow, was that fast and that is when the whirlwind began.

I went through a series of tests and 3 different types of photos on my eyes and the news I got was even more shocking than what I had received the day before.  I not only had a torn retina, it had become partially detached as well.  He told me that the tear had allowed some fluid to get behind the retina and caused it to detach from the back wall of my eye.

He then explained a new procedure that they do and that is to inject an air bubble into the eye.  He warned me that it only works about 70% of the time and carrier with it a risk of infection.  Again, I figured this would be several days away, but again I was wrong.  It was happening now!  I was sent to sit in the waiting room.
I admit it though; I was scared spitless about having needles in my eye.  I knew, or thought I did, how much this would hurt.  Now whenever I am scared or nervous, I pace, and so I did, up and down the hall.  My Fitbit showed I did 5,000 steps while I was waiting.  Then the call came and off I went.

They put yet another set of drops in my eye and then came the needle to “freeze” the eye.  I tensed waiting for the intense pain and it didn’t happen.  In seconds, that one was over.  I had to wait a few seconds for it to take effect and then he stuck a second needle in my eye to remove some fluid.  As he explained, they had to make room for the bubble.  Then they injected the bubble and he drew an arrow on my forehead with a Sharpie.
ARROW HEAD
I had to keep the arrow pointed straight up and so it meant keeping my head cocked at a strange angle.  My neck began to hurt more than the injections had.  The purpose of this was to keep the bubble centered over the detachment.  This would press my retina against the back wall of my eye and hopefully it would attach.  If it didn’t it would mean conventional surgery where they open my eye and repair it that way.  Renee drove me home.

The disconcerting thing was that I can actually see the bubble on the inside of my eye and it is annoying as hell.  Even with a bandage over my eye, I can see it.  But my vision in the right eye was crystal clear and I drove to the clinic the next day.  I discovered that I can drive better with one eye closed than 70% of the drivers in Vancouver.

Twenty-four hours later, on a Saturday at 4:00 PM I was back in the chair.  Again I had needles in my eye to freeze it, and because I take daily aspirin, it bled a lot more than it should have.  The Doctor then looked and was very impressed with the result.  My retina had adhered so well; it was hard to even see the tear.
He began to laser the inside of my eye, essentially spot welding the retina in place and closing the tear.  Every so often he would hit a nerve and the pain would shoot through to the back of my head, but they were minor and over quick.  After about 40 minutes, I was on my way home.
ZOMBIE EYE
The next day, I was able to take the bandage off and I am able to see clearly again.  I think it was successful.  Well, clearly except for the damn bubble.  I can see perfectly over top of it, but looking down my vision is obstructed.  Two days later I was back in the vision center and was told that the surgery was a complete success and I had achieved an “outstanding” result.  My vision is back to 20/10 and perfectly clear.  Well, clear except for the damn bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment