Monday, September 5, 2016

064 SUMMER IS OVER

Summer is over.  It’s not officially over until September 21, but today is Labour Day, so yes, it’s done.  As I mentioned in an earlier article, leaves are already coming off the trees.  People go back to work tomorrow and the kids go back to school.  My hockey season starts next Wednesday and I am really stoked, with my back feeling better than it has in years.

When I reinjured my back a few years ago, I stopped going to the gym, because it just hurt too much.  Granted, it didn’t stop me from playing hockey, but it sure did limit what I could and couldn’t do.  Never a strong skater, it turned me into a weak one and the extra weight I packed on certainly didn’t help.  The biggest thing it did was to steal my biggest weapon, my slapshot.  I’m hoping it will return this season, I’ll know on Wednesday.

Now that the weather is cooling down as well, I am going to return to the gym.  Trevor Linden’s Club 16 is just up the road and is much easier to get to than the one in Burnaby I used to go to.  The cool weather is important in this endeavor as Toby goes everywhere with me, and I’m not leaving him in the truck when it is hot.

Obviously, I won’t be able to start off where I was and will have to work up to it.  My workouts were a little on the insane side.  I would start with a 10-minute bike ride to warm up, then I would do the weight training circuit (12 stations) 3 times and take about 45 minutes.  That would be followed immediately by 30 to 45 minutes of sprints on the bike followed by a cooldown of fast walking on the treadmill for an additional 30 minutes.  I did this ever Monday and Tuesday, play hockey on Wednesday evening.  Then it was back to the gym for Thursday and Friday.  I would rest on Saturday and play hockey Sunday morning.

Now, I have not been completely sedentary for all this time.  I was still playing hockey every Sunday and Wednesday during the season and every single day I take Toby for his walk for 45-60 minutes every morning.  At the old house, I took Toby to the park, so I will admit, I wasn’t moving the whole time, especially if there was another dog owner to talk to.  Now, out here, it is an actual fast walk for 45-60 minutes every morning and another 20-30 minute walk every evening.

I missed going to the lake this year, but I know I did the right thing with how good my back feels now.  I’m still stiff and sore when I get out of bed, but that’s more age than anything and it passes once I’m up and moving.  It’s the same if I have been sitting for any length of time.

Another important milestone is just around the corner.  Wednesday marks the 6-month anniversary since I took possession of my new house.  Next Saturday is a big milestone as it marks 6 months since I actually moved in and spent my first night in the house.  After 20 years of living in an old 300 square foot basement suite, it is a slice of heaven living here.  In fact, it was 20 years to the day when I moved in and when I moved out.

There has been several more bear sightings in and around the complex, although, I have personally only witnessed one.  I have seen lots of evidence of bears around, but not the bears themselves.  It’s probably just as well, but I would like to see one from a place of safety, with camera in hand to get some nice shots.

All in all, it has been an adventuresome 6 months and an amazing summer.  The weather wasn’t the greatest for long periods, but, I don’t tolerate heat very well at the best of times.  My favourite kinds of days are, sunny days where it is just warm enough to wear shorts and T-shirt, or better yet a bright sunny day, where it is at 0 degrees or lower, just after a fresh snowfall.


Which is something I am really hoping for and looking forward to.  The Farmer’s Almanac is calling for a very cold winter with lots of snow, so we shall see.  In Vancouver, snow was something that if you got it at all, it was just a dusting that lasted a couple of days.  Maple Ridge has always seen more snow, so hopefully it continues along that pattern.  Especially since, I no longer have to shovel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment