Saturday, July 30, 2016

058 HOT NIGHT IN THE TOWNHOUSE

It was a hot day yesterday at 30C, but a little cooler than the 35C it was the day before.  What made it worse was the 60% humidity, which made me feel like I was melting.  Sweat was pouring off me like I was doing a workout in the gym, but I was sitting still.  I do not tolerate heat very well, I never really have, so I don’t understand people vacationing in Phoenix where it was 120F.

As a result, Toby and I after the morning walk, went up and relaxed in the bedroom in front of the portable air conditioner that I thankfully purchased.  It’s too bad I can’t get air conditioning for the whole house, but there is a limit on what you are allowed in a strata-complex.  This unit is the most powerful one I can get at 14,000 BTU and it only cools the bedroom.  If I leave the door open, none of the cool air reaches the rest of the floor.

I give this preamble because, little did I know, it was about to get hotter.  It got hotter partly because I did my Mom’s baked Rice Krispy Chicken, so running an oven on a hot day, sort of adds to it.  Unfortunately, there is no way to do it on the BBQ.  Anyway, it turned out delicious and after dinner, we did our usual evening stroll.  It felt like the temperature outside had cooled slightly and we did our usual route.

I had planned on watching the BC Lions vs Calgary game in the bedroom, but I skipped the opening kickoff to do the walk.  While we were out, I heard someone yell from one of the units, “yeah, 95 yards”.  When we got back, I bee lined for the bedroom.  The Lions were leading 13-3 and yes, they had taken the opening kickoff back 95 yards for the touchdown.  Oh, well, I’d catch the highlights at halftime.

The Lions increased their lead and then the phone rang.  I figured Renee would answer, but when I looked at the call display, I saw that it was her cell.  She told me that she could hear an alarm and she was going to go look.  A few minutes later she called back and said it was the neighbours and I should come help.  So I grabbed my shirt and headed out with the Lions in a comfortable lead late in the second quarter.

I found Renee and we went looking and determined the smoke alarm was coming from a house a few doors down.  I started walking around the place and was getting a strong smell of smoke.  We didn’t try the doors at all.  But Renee was ringing the bell and pounding on the door, but there was no answer.  After a few minutes, we were certain that we could smell smoke and so Renee called 9-1-1.
ONE RIG


A few minutes later the Maple Ridge Fire Department arrived with two rigs.  They immediately started unpacking gear and hoses, because they could smell the smoke before they even got the rigs parked.  The Captain walked up to the door and was inside before I knew it.  I guess the door was unlocked, because he had no tools in his hand and there was no damage to the door.
TWO RIGS

While the crew was still inside, the family arrived home and was shocked to see a big hose snaking into their house through the front door.  The little girl, Sarah, who is a neighbourhood favourite was heartbroken and sobbing because her cat was inside.  She was inconsolable until one of the fire guys came out and pronounced the fire out and the cat safe.

Apparently, someone left something cooking on the gas stove and went out to get some further ingredients from the store.  That turned out not to be such a good plan.  It caught fire and was starting to spread when the fire guys got inside.  They filled the brand new gas stove with foam, but thankfully the fire did not spread to the point of setting off the sprinklers, or there would have been much, much more damage.

Even though our smoke alarms seem to be very sensitive and they go off so often, Renee still checks.  She has not succumbed to the “cry wolf syndrome” and in this case, it really was a fire.  Her actions saved not only the one townhouse, but maybe the whole block of six units.  In this heat, if the whole block had gone up, it would have easily spread to our building and so on.  She’s the heroine of our little village.


After an exciting show, I went back inside to resume the football game.  What was looking like a blowout was anything but.  Calgary had come back and was only two points behind.  No problem though, the Lions increased their lead again and were 15 points up late in the game.  Unfortunately, Calgary came back and tied the game with one-minute left.  Sadly, they went into overtime and Calgary got a field goal to lead by three.  The Lions got all the way down to the 10-yard line, but Calgary sealed their win with an interception in the end zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment