Sunday, May 22, 2016

048 CULINARY ARTS

The culinary arts have always been a favourite activity for me.  Ever since I was little I used to help my Mom baking cookies, stirring fudge on the stove and many other things.  This has carried over into adulthood, and I have always loved cooking.  It can get a little overwhelming when making a large dinner such as the Christmas turkey, but I think I have always done pretty well.  My Mom even compiled a small black book of all her recipes.  She made two copies of it and gave one to me and one to my sister.
BAKING COOKIES


PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
I have used it a lot over the years but only a few recipes.  The one recipe that was missing and nowhere to be found was one for a great liniment.  People at the lake would come and “borrow” some and Mom would give them the recipe.  They dubbed it “Auntie Edith’s Marvelous Liniment”.  For many years it remained a mystery, until Dad passed away and we were cleaning out the house when my sister found it hidden behind some stuff in the kitchen cupboard.
FIRST EVER WAFFLE
ANGEL FOOD CAKE

In my little basement suite (300 square feet) with no stove and just a hot plate, electric wok, a BBQ and later a portable roaster oven, I managed to put together some pretty good meals.  At the cabin I acquired a “taste” as it were for cooking with gas.  Granted it was a tiny propane stove, but it did the trick.

CHICKEN FAJITAS
Imagine my delight when I moved in here and saw the huge 5 burner gas range and the gas convection oven.  I figured I would be able to go crazy with cooking, and I have.  I have been able to indulge myself with some favourite cooking pastimes, but I have also been able to expand my repertoire with things I have never made before.  Having the right counter-top appliances has helped as well.

I have in no particular order baked milk chocolate chip cookies, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, peanut butter cookies, waffles with a recipe given to me by my son from his Mom, a scratch bake Angel Food cake, and now a New York Cheesecake and the toppings to go with it. I have made omelets, poached eggs, standard bacon and eggs, meatloaf, stir fried beef and broccoli, chicken fajitas and tacos.  I even discovered and regularly make the “real” Orange Julius drink.  Who knows which direction I will go next.
NEW YORK CHEESECAKE

I have not roasted a turkey yet, nor have I done roast beef, but they are coming.  I have made my rum and butter mushrooms, but not my special ribs, although they are on the agenda as well.  I even have a recipe for Greek Style ribs, which I must try, because I love those with the spicy lemon flavour.

So many recipes that I know by heart and others that are brand new and my huge kitchen makes it much easier than the tiny area I employed at the old house.  I had a two foot by 3-foot section of counter and then I employed the top of the washing machine for additional counter space.  Now I have counters all over the place and the extra room is so much better.  Having a dishwasher makes cleanup much easier as well.


I had an idea for this article to go one way, but in my excitement over successful cooking and baking projects, I have appeared to ramble all over the place.  I have so far only tested my recipes on Renee, although my Caitlin and Trevor loved the milk chocolate chip cookies and Perry loved my white chocolate macadamia nut cookies and the Orange Julius.  So far the reaction from Renee has been two thumbs up for it all.  What to do next, I wonder?  

No comments:

Post a Comment