Monday, May 16, 2016

047 WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE

As I mentioned in an earlier post I was thinking about adding some roses in a planter just outside my front door.  I was a little hesitant to do so, as I wasn’t sure what if any problems it would cause with strata.  The AGM gave me a chance to find out that it was ok, as long as I was clear that the responsibility for taking care of them was my own and not the strata.  I had already understood that would be the case and I had already gone ahead and done it anyway.  Coincidentally, that was the same day I hurt my wrist.  Is it karma because I did it before asking permission?

Anyway, we went to a place called Triple Tree Nurseries and I picked out a very nice red tea rose, because red roses are gorgeous.  I also bought a Peace Rose as a tribute to my grandfather.  In addition, of course, I had to buy two containers to hold them and I picked out a faux terracotta so it would somewhat blend in with the front of the building and not be so obvious.
ROSES IN PLACE

Like everyone who goes into a plant store though, I ended up buying a red begonia and a yellow begonia, and of course I needed container dirt and mushroom manure to fill the planters.  After getting all that together, as I was going through the cashier, there was an orchid called Tom’s Favourite.  Well of course, I had to get that as well.  But wait.  There’s more.

After getting home and putting the orchid on the dining room table and the begonias on the deck table, it was decided to transplant the roses in the evening.  There would be less witnesses and of course while I was doing it two neighbours came outside and we all started visiting.  Anyway, I got the roses transplanted and snugged up against the entranceway, and gave them lots of water.
YELLOW BEGONIA ON DECK

ORCHID IN DINING ROOM

ORCHID IN DINING ROOM 2
Of course, it’s never enough when it comes to flowers, so we ended up going to Art Knapp’s and bought some baskets and inserts to hang over the front railing.  I already had enough dirt left over, so that wasn’t an issue.  I walked through and picked out plants with lots of yellows and greens and Renee quietly walked behind me and replaced them with mostly pinks and purples.  Although I did find a strange looking purple plant that she approved of.  I have no idea what it is called, and neither did anyone I talked to at Art Knapp’s.  For all I know it’s a poisonous man-eater.
VISITOR ALREADY

SMELL NICE

POSSIBLE MAN EATER

We had also stopped at London Drugs and I saw a really neat blue ceramic pot that would be perfect for the begonias.  It was only $7.00 so I grabbed it.  I later saw the identical pot at Art Knapp’s for $25.00, it even had the identical sticker on it and identical markings in the bottom of the pot.

This was the day that my wrist became unmanageable, and so I talked Renee through the transplanting process.  The mix of dirt and manure and how to place the plants in the dirt.  She proved to be an able student and we will proclaim her a container gardener now.  It has really added some colour to my front entrance and deck.

By the time of this writing, the deck flowers are thriving.  So is the orchid and most importantly so are the roses.  The red rose has several buds and one that has burst through into full flower.  It is a much deeper red than I expected but it looks really classy.  I’m waiting for the Peace Rose to bloom to add a counterpoint to the deep red.
FULL BLOOM ROSE

ROSE AND BUD

CLOSE UP
 I’ve had a hard time photographing the flowers with my wrist, especially since I can’t even trigger the shutter release.  Once I was able to do that, I shot with the macro setup, which was mostly a disaster as noting worked out.  Then I shot it using the big lens and doing a bit of telephoto macro and got a few ok shots.

We have started a trend around here though.  I guess everyone was waiting for that one brave soul to step up to the plate and flout authority.  Since putting my roses out front and the hanging containers on the railing, I have noticed planters cropping up all over the complex.  My next door neighbour beat me to the containers on the rails, but mine were next day.  The neighbour across the street has put up two hanging baskets by her front door and I even noticed that someone has a container full of tomato plants out front.  So we are trendsetters I guess.
YET ANOTHER VIEW OF MY ROSE


The complex has some very nice landscaping, but it is always nice to add a personal touch to your own unit.  At the old house I was trying to avoid the yard work because it hurt too much with my back and knees.  It doesn’t mean I didn’t miss my flowers and things and container gardening provides the best of both worlds.  You can still get your hands in the dirt, but it is very minimal work involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment