Thursday, February 15, 2018

116 TWO WEEKS A.T. (AFTER TOBY)


The evening we arrived home after Toby died, we immediately did our regular neighbourhood morning walk, but it was in the evening.  As I mentioned, there were lots of neighbours and other dog walkers who were sad to hear the news of Toby’s passing.  Nobody sadder than us of course.  We completed the walk and then went in the house to have dinner.  The house seems so empty without him.  Tears are never far from the surface.

Renee left Monday morning for work and home, and then the emptiness of the house without Toby hit me hard.  I walked out onto the deck to BBQ my dinner, took one look at Toby’s ramp and burst into tears.  I had a good cry and then made dinner.  I found myself saving bits of chicken for him, his favourite, when I realized I didn’t have to and ended up eating them.

All week I continued to do the morning and evening walks I did with Toby, but I began increasing my distance.  This was a tribute to him as well as important for my own health and recovery.  I had cancelled all my physio appointments for the week and ended up just staying home.  I just didn’t feel like going out much.

We originally were not going to claim Toby’s ashes but then changed our minds and we picked them up the following Saturday, exactly one week after Toby died.  In fact, we picked up the ashes at the same time in the afternoon.

Renee did not know it, but I had some custom made greeting cards made.  I ordered them from what I thought was a Canadian company, but it turns out the are based in Rhode Island in the States.  They will arrive by February 20th.  I also ordered a framed 16x20 inch print of Toby.  This will hand at the top of the stairs leading outside.  Toby loved lying at the bottom of those stairs.  There is currently a painting I did of a previous family dog, named Scamp, but Toby will take that place and the painting will move to the side wall.

After we picked up Toby’s ashes we went to Costco, which I joined for the first time just to get the print made.  When we arrived, we didn’t want to leave the box of his ashes in the truck, for fear of some idiot breaking in.  So, we took him in with us.  When security stopped us, we had already gotten the print, they wanted to know what was in the box.  I told the truth, I said, “it’s our dog” and showed them the picture.  Seeing the look of confusion, I explained it was his ashes and why we were brining them in.  This seemed to satisfy them.

Our next adventure was to pack up all of Toby’s things.  His bed, canned food, bagged treats, medication and his two ramps and carpet runners.  We then drove out to Mission, BC to donate all this stuff to a shelter called SAINTS.  They provide end of life care to all types of animals and run completely on donations.  They were extremely happy to receive these donations, especially the meds which can be very pricey.  Another couple was there doing the same thing, having just lost their dog as well.

On the way to the place, I missed the turnoff and we ended up way the heck and gone in the middle of nowhere.  My OnStar was not working because the radio in my truck is defective and awaiting replacement.  Renee was getting more and more frustrated because she doesn’t like technology at the best of times

When Renee went into a gas station to get directions, I finally figured out how to use Google maps on my iPhone and get it to verbally read directions to me.  After a long, convoluted trip, involving many seemingly random turns, we arrived at the destination.  Ten minutes early in fact for the guided tour scheduled for 11:00 AM.

The following day we made a trip out to the Greater Vancouver Zoo.  Neither of us had been in many years, and I could never go and leave Toby in the truck.  So, it became an outing and a photographic safari.  I got some pretty good photos if I do say so myself.

I am making tentative plans to do some travelling and it looks like my first trip will be to Las Vegas.  I have a Facebook friend who lives there and is also an avid photographer.  As well as my cousin Beth owns a place in Vegas and she has invited me to come and visit several times.  While my plans remain tentative, Renee has already booked a trip to New Orleans with her friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment