Thursday, January 4, 2018

111 ISN'T THAT HANDY

Here we are well into the new year of 2018.  It’s already January 4th and after 3 months of intense, everyday physiotherapy, I’m starting to gain some real confidence.  For the longest time, my left hand has been next to useless.  Unable to properly bend my fingers and no strength at all, has left me unable to use my “real” camera.

I currently shoot with a Pro level Nikon D4s and normally with a Tamron 150-600 mm zoom lens.  This is a very heavy combination and because of the weakness in my left hand, I did not feel confident holding it or carrying it. The body of the camera itself is heavy enough, but combined with the big lens, there was just no way.

I did try with a smaller lens, but as I suspected, I could not properly hold the camera.  Your non-dominant hand, in my case, the left, holds the camera and activates various controls.  In the old days it was also used to focus and change f-stops for exposure.  Thankfully, I don’t have to worry about focus.  I don’t even have to worry about aperture control if I don’t want to.  While I prefer shooting in manual mode, desperation will lead me to use “automatic” for the first while.

Starting out I will resurrect a former “go-to” lens.  I used to always use a 135mm f2 lens for all my shooting needs.  All the Canucks and NHL old-time hockey photos I have been posting on Instagram, were shot using this lens.  I still have that lens, but I am going to go with an updated version of it.  It is capable of auto-focus and has a neat feature that allows control of the out-of-focus background.  Photographers call this “bokeh”.  It just makes for crisp focus on the main subject while blurring the background.  In fact, this lens is rated as the absolute top of the line lens for portrait work.
GARY "SUITCASE" SMITH
OLD 135 MM LENS

RICK BLIGHT SCORES ON THE JETS
OLD 135 MM LENS

I’m looking forward to getting back into one of my past-times.  Hockey is still a reach currently because of my foot and the inability to get my foot in a skate.  But, it has given me hope that my hand has responded, and I am this close to being able to “shoot” again.  The 135-mm lens won’t be particularly good for wildlife shots, unless I can stealthily sneak up on some birds, or if some wildlife comes close enough.

If I can get the garage sorted out, and manage to get my studio set-up out of the closet in my office, I can set up a small studio in the garage, in front of the boat.  The background will hide the boat from view and will provide about a 20’x20’ space to set up in.  This is considerably bigger than the space I was using in my old house.  That’s all speculation of course, and it prefaces on my strength and ability to get the garage sorted out.

It also means dedicating time to cleaning up boxes full of stuff stacked in front of the closet doors in my office.  I have the motivation to do it, it’s whether I have the strength and stamina to do it.  I suppose I can take it a little bit at a time.  It will also depend on how long Toby will allow me to remain upstairs without him getting lonely and crying.  If he could still make it up the stairs, it wouldn’t be an issue.  It sucks getting old, which I can certainly relate to.  While, I can still recover enough to get on with it, Toby won’t have the same luxury as he will be 12 in March.
RENEE IN MY OLD
TINY STUDIO

THE KIDS IN MY OLD
TINY STUDIO

So, now all I must do is wait for the lens to arrive and then I can begin my testing of it.  It supposed to be here today, but as of the writing of this article at 2:30 PM it isn’t here.  I’ve posted some samples with the old 135 mm above and when I take some new stuff, I will post some here as well.  I’m so looking forward to getting back to shooting.


The smaller lens set-up will have an added benefit of forcing me to be a little more creative in what I can shoot.  The 600 mm makes it easier to get some wildlife shots because I don’t have to be as close.  This way, birds, small animals and people aren’t intimidated and likely don’t even know I’m there.  With the 135mm it’s far more up close and personal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment