Friday, December 9, 2016

077 SNOW DAY, YAY

Finally, after waiting all week, we got some snow.  It was supposed to happen Thursday morning, then Thursday afternoon, then late Thursday night, but it finally started at 7:00 AM on Friday.  It started very gently, with a powdery snow and kept it up until 9:00 when Toby and I went out for our morning walk.  It stopped then.

There was maybe ½ to ¾ inch of snow.  Walking our driveway was fine because at 7:30 AM one of the guys from the construction crew grabbed one of the bobcats and shoveled all the roads.  It worked well and even picked up the ice left from our -10-degree day yesterday.
STARTING THE LIGHTS

FINISH LIGHTS. A LOOK INSIDE
THE INDIANA JONES GARAGE


For salting, it was hilarious.  I looked out the window and saw the same guy sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck.  They came slowly up the road and the guy in back had a big bag of salt and a tin can.  He would dip it into the bag of salt and sprinkle it onto the road behind the truck.  By the time, I got to my camera, they had disappeared around the corner.  Hey, it may have been improvised, but it worked well.  It was just funny to watch.

The pathway was fine for walking as well, since it’s gravel.  The place I had problems was on the city sidewalks.  The roads themselves were plowed and well salted.  Sidewalks not so much.  The top part of the 240th hill had a path salted into it but the rest, not so much.  It was also hard walking in my new boots which I haven’t fully broken in yet.

Mr. Enthusiasm, Toby started yanking me along and I started to lose my balance, but managed to stop from falling by grabbing one of the fences around the boulevard trees.  It would have been fine, but Toby kept pulling and I felt something in my wrist, creak.  Man, did that hurt.  Once I got home, I iced it and took an anti-inflammatory and it seems to be a lot better this evening.

It started snowing again around noon, only a lot harder this time.  It’s a lot warmer today at only 0 degrees.  The hose really holds the heat well and normally stays around 19 or 20 without the heat being on.  Yesterday the inside temperature got down to 14C and I was finally forced to turn on the heat for the first time.  I was wondering how well the electric baseboard heaters would do, but they had the heat up to 20 within an hour.
BEFORE INSTALLATION OF EXTRA
LIGHTS, WINDOW LIGHTS
AND SNOW
At 3:30 PM, Toby and I headed out for our evening walk in the winter wonderland and directly after headed to the Westcoast Express to pick up Renee.  The train was 25 minutes late today.  Driving was easy using 4-wheel drive, with all-terrain tires and just driving slowly and carefully.  We saw both extremes on the road.  The road itself was clear of snow, but there was some idiot driving at between 10 and 15 kph.  It’s good to go slow, but there is a limit.

On the other hand, after we got parked and were heading inside, some moron went by at between 80 and 90 kph and throwing snow everywhere.  I’d be amazed if he makes it home at all and without killing someone.  You just have to shake your head and wonder.

After dinner, I finally got around to putting lights up around the front window.  That finishes off the front decorating.  I put these lights inside the window though.  I still must do the back window, but I’ll do that tomorrow.  They look good from the outside, but I should have turned off the house lights as they don’t show up too well in the photo.  The snow just completes the whole picture.
FRONT OF HOUSE WITH WINDOW LIGHTS
EXTRA LIGHTS AND SNOW
I’ll re-shoot the photo tomorrow with the house lights off, so that they will show up better.  Hopefully the snow will still be here in time for the photo.  One can never tell around here.  What is heavy snow one minute can be heavy rain in the next minute.  We shall see, but for now, I’m just happy we finally have snow.  It just makes it feel so much more Christmassy!

No comments:

Post a Comment