Wednesday, November 30, 2016

074 MOVING RIGHT ALONG

It is now the last day of November and things are moving right along.  Renee decorated the tree with all the little baubles a couple of days ago, but it remained unfinished.  The snowflake tree-topper would not work at all as it had a strange little scoop thing on the bottom, designed to balance on top of a large branch or trunk.  This tree doesn’t have one.  So, it was back to Canadian Tire I went.
TREE ALL DECORATED

I started looking at the trees on display and saw that there were tree-toppers that had a very impressive looking clamp.  Then I started looking at the tree-toppers available and came across the exact same one that Renee liked initially, but we rejected because it felt too heavy.  Right there at the bottom was a very skookum looking clamp, so I bought it.  Renee has her first wish tree topper, but she doesn’t know it yet.
NO FLASH JUST LIGHTS
The tree-topper is a solid looking star made from chips of wood and has jewels embedded in it.  It’s very west coast looking.  Now if I can just get it to work with the tree.  The cashier that took the return of the snowflake one saw this one and hoped it would work.  I told her that I would give it a shot and if it didn’t I could always bring it back as well.

Of course, I couldn’t go into Canadian Tire and just buy one thing.  So, I ended up buying a third string of lights to put on the fence.  This will complete the back yard.  The front is another chore.  I do have a battery-operated wreath on the front door, which has a timer allowing the lights to be on for 6 hours and off for 18.  Unfortunately, I obviously set it wrong because they were on all the time and I burned through a set of batteries in 3 days.
RUDOLPH IS READY

Renee set up some gold leafed path markers and set the timer correctly since they go on at 4:00 PM every day and go off at 10:00 PM.  Oh, well, I bought more batteries and I will re-set the front door wreath.  If it ever stoops raining I will tackle the back-yard fence and the front of the house.

I wanted little lights for the inside of the windows but the shortest string I can find at Canadian Tire is 33 feet and I don’t think any of my windows are big enough.  When in doubt, measure.  So, once I get home I will measure the windows.

As luck, would have it, it stopped raining.  I waited just to be sure and it stayed dry for several hours, so off into the yard I went with my string of lights.  Of course, as soon as I got about 10 feet done, the heavens opened again and I got soaked.  But the lights are done.  The string was too long for just the top of the fence, so I doubled it back along the bottom of the lattice.  It looks good tonight too.
BACK YARD FROM THE DECK
The front of the house will have to wait until Thursday or later now.  It’s already the earliest I have put up Christmas stuff, as I usually wait until December 1.  New place, new rules I guess.  Lots of people in the neighbourhood are getting into the spirit, as lights and decorations are going up everywhere.  The complex is looking more festive every day.

The house is looking good now, but am I finished?  I doubt it, although I really can’t think of more to do yet.  I do intend to project the animation of Santa in the window, but I must find some translucent material to put up to project onto.  I checked the Atmosfx website with the intention of ordering it from them.  Unfortunately, a roll, not big enough to cover the window costs $74 American and then they want another $74 American to ship it.  Then you can add in duty and 2-week delivery time and I said “forget it”.  I’ll put my brain to work and come up with another idea.  How hard could it be?

Anyway, the decorating saga continues and who knows where it will end.   We shall see.  I may be done now, but I really don’t think so.  I have a nice ledge under the winter painting that is crying out for some Christmassy items.  Sure, wish I had that set of snow people my Mom made years ago, but I will find some other items to put there.  I should maybe even get a Christmassy table cloth for when the kids come over for Boxing Day dinner.  We shall see.  Stay tuned for more adventures.


No comments:

Post a Comment