Sunday, August 21, 2016

060 DOG DAYS OF SUMMER

Here we are into the so called “dog days of summer” and we actually have summer.  Just in time for the PNE when it traditionally rains.  This year it does not appear to be the case as Friday and Saturday have been sunny and hot as hell.  Well, at least out here in Maple Ridge.  The weather report was showing a very pleasant 23 degrees in Vancouver, while it was 34 degrees out here.  Combined with 42% humidity and to quote the Wicked Witch of the West, “I’m melting…”

I’ll admit it, while I do like a sunny day, I prefer them to be just warm enough to wear shorts and a T-shirt, not hot enough to buckle steel.  I do not tolerate heat well, I never have.  I have a lot of extra insulation on my body, and if I thought all this heat was melting some away, then ok, but it isn’t.  I don’t like feeling sticky, persistent headaches and exhaustion.  Before you say it, I am well hydrated as I average about 3 liters of mostly water every day.  In fact, I go through one of those big jugs of water in my water cooler once a week.

Which way to take the blog?  That’s the big question facing me right now.  I have hit a period where it is hard to think of things to write about.  It was easy when I was getting ready to move, doing the move, getting organized and settling into my new area of my new city and just getting comfortable.

Everything in the house is more or less organized or set up now.  Yes, there are some spots still to do.  One being my office.  But being upstairs, this is where the heat comes in.  It’s really difficult to even be on the computer when I am dripping sweat over everything.  The same holds true for the guest bedroom.  Then there’s the garage.  Again the heat plays a factor, but not as much.  There it is just the sheer overwhelming scale of the project that deters.  They will all get done one day.

Things in the overall living area are well set up I think.  We have had several different “parties” over the last several months.  Then there are several more to come.  It is so much nicer, having a space that I can actually have people over and have places for them to sit.  It was virtually impossible in my old basement suite unless the weather cooperated and we could sit at the picnic tables in the yard.

Now, it is not weather dependent.  We can have a BBQ and sit outside on the deck and if the weather doesn’t cooperate, there’s room inside for everyone as well.  Once the clubhouse is built, I could have a really big party if necessary.

Yesterday we had our friend Caroline over for brunch.  We did our morning walk around the neighbourhood had our breakfast and then Renee and Caroline took a longer walk down by the Rainbow Bridge.  I am quite capable of doing the second walk, especially with how great my back is now feeling, but the heat is way too much for Toby at 10.5 years.

When we were sitting around later having homemade cheesecake, Caroline suggested that I could take the blog in the direction of cooking and baking.  I suppose it is an option, although I am reluctant to give away some of my Top Secret recipes.  I’ll have to think about that one.  Caroline made a good case though, I could get my recipes out there for people to enjoy and since I’m not in the position to make any money off them, what’s the worry?

The other thing is that I’m not a professional chef or baker, I just enjoy the creative process.  So far I haven’t created anything that people haven’t loved, so maybe I have something.  My Mom taught me a lot about cooking and baking and I have learned things along the way.  Some of my recipes have been in the family for many years, and I have added my own touch to them and in some cases made them even better.  Or at least, I like to think so.


We shall see what happens.  It’s my blog and it started out to be about the “big move” at 60 but there are no rules about where I can or can’t take the blog.  Now that I am 61 and all moved in, who knows?  We shall see where it leads me and for any of you who are faithful readers.  As they say on TV, “stay tuned for more exciting developments”.

No comments:

Post a Comment